Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] [ASSEMBLY-88] Possible duplicate functionalityoffered by constrainingType and component - proposed resolution

Mike Edwards wrote:

> This is a proposal to resolve Issue 88.

> - add an attribute to <component/> called @constrained which is a
> boolean value with a default of "false"
>
> - a <component/> with constrained=false is just like a component today -
> no changes
> - a <component/> with constrained=true requires its implementation to
> follow rules similar to those for
>   constrainingType - namely:
>
> "When the component using an implementation has @constrained=true the
> implementation's component type
> MUST contain all the services, references and properties explicitly
> declared by the component. The component’s
> references and services can have interfaces specified and can have
> intents specified - the implementation's
> service interfaces must be the same or a superset and its reference
> interfaces must the the same or a subset, while
> any intents present in the componentType must match those declared by
> the component.. An implementation MAY
> contain additional services, additional optional references
> (multiplicity 0..1 or 0..n) and additional optional properties
> beyond those declared by the component, but MUST NOT contain additional
> non-optional references
> (multiplicity 1..1 or 1..n) or additional non-optional properties (a
> property with mustSupply=true). (and any such references
> will not be wired and any such properties will not be configured by the
> component). Any services in the componentType
> which are not also declared by the component cannot be wired or promoted"

Other than the inability to promote or be a source/target in a wire
element, what other restriction does this add? What is stated here is
already true regardless of constrainted='true'. For example, the
implementation cannot contain non-optional properties that are not set
in the component configuration. This is already true (although we state
this in the opposite way: a component must set the value for a required
property).

> I believe that this allows a component to control what its
> implementations MUST look like, which is the idea behind
> constrainingType.

I'll respond to the idea behind constrainingType in a reply to your
other email. I don't think this captures it.