Subject: Conversational services

Hi,

Martin mentioned Oracle's experience with conversational services led
them to the conclusion that they were "half-baked" and too complex on
the Assembly call today. Unfortunately, time ran out before I could
ask him to elaborate. From an end-user perspective, conversations are
a critical part of our applications. Without them, we will likely be
forced to adopt a proprietary approach (or potentially look to another
technology), which for obvious reasons we don't want to do. Based on
my discussions in the past with other end-users, I don't think I am
alone in my views.

As some background, we are currently building several European inter-
bank payment and ATM processing systems which are in various stages of
production use. The size of these applications are quite large (over
150 composites each) and the requirements challenging, but due to
SCA's ease-of-use, we were able to implement them successfully with
developers who had no prior SCA exposure and relatively limited
experience with service-based architectures. In building these
applications, conversational services allowed us to greatly simplify
many previously complex tasks, such as large document processing and
managing JPA persistence contexts. From a cost and ongoing maintenance
standpoint, conversational service support has allowed us to remove an
enormous amount of "boilerplate" code that existed in our legacy
systems.

We were able to support conversational services in our SCA
infrastructure in a relatively straightforward way. So far, based on
our application throughput requirements (processing 100 million
transactions in a three hour period), we have not encountered any
performance issues related to conversations.

I'm sure there are areas where they can be improved. For example,
multi-party conversations is one, which we have implemented as a
proprietary extension in our infrastructure. There is also the
question of inter-operability, although I don't view that as
necessarily important at this stage given SCA runtimes from different
vendors are not likely to interoperate (e.g. different vendor runtimes
participating in the same domain) any time in the near future.
However, before we remove such an important feature, I would like to
understand the specifics of why conversations are too complex both to
use and implement. Granted, there are areas in need of further
specification and refinement, but I think that can be said of many SCA
features.

Not to single people out, but Martin and Mike, you both made these
claims on the call. Could you please elaborate with technical details?

Thanks,
Jim