Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] [NEW ISSUE] Assembly specification unclear on Contribution vs Deployment - when can errors in artifacts be reported?

On May 27, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Simon Nash wrote:

> [...]
>> Contribution.
>> The particular problem that has emerged when building the testcases
>> for the Assembly spec is that it is necessary to define when
>> it is valid to raise an error relating to an artifact that is in
>> error.
>> It is necessary to say that it is NOT valid to raise an error for
>> an artifact that is in error when it is merely present within a
>> Contribution
>> that is contributed to the Domain.  Only artifacts that are
>> actually deployed can be checked for static errors - and so this
>> can only
>> take place when deployment occurs.
>> Proposal:
>> Add a new section to the spec after line 3649 as follows:
>> 11.3. States of Artifacts in the Domain
>> Artifacts in the SCA domain are in one of 3 states:
>> 1. Installed
>> 2. Deployed
>> 3. Running
>> Installed artifacts are artifacts that are part of a Contribution
>> that is installed into the Domain.
>> Installed artifacts are available for use by other artifacts that
>> are deployed, See "install Contribution"
>> and "remove Contribution" to understand how artifacts are installed
>> and uninstalled.
>> Deployed artifacts are artifacts that the SCA runtime is given to
>> execute.  Artifacts are deployed
>> either through explicit deployment actions or through the presence
>> of <deployable/> elements
>> in sca-contribution.xml files within a Contribution. If an artifact
>> is deployed which has dependencies
>> on other artifacts, then those dependent artifacts are also deployed.
>> When the SCA runtime has one or more deployable artifacts, the
>> runtime attempts to put those artifacts
>> and any artifacts they depend on into the Running state.  This can
>> fail due to errors in one or more of the artifacts
>> or the process can be delayed until all dependencies are available.
>> 11.3.1
>> Checking for errors in artifacts MUST NOT be done for artifacts in
>> the Installed state (ie where the artifacts are
>> simply part of installed contributions] {ASM120xx]
> This seems over-restrictive.  For example, what about malformed
> artifacts
> such as .composite files with XML syntax errors?  It might be useful
> inform the user about such problems when the artifacts are
> installed, but
> the proposed rule would apparently prohibit an SCA runtime from even
> discovering these problems at installation time.  I think a better
> rule
> would be to allow such errors to be detected as long as this does not
> prevent any artifacts from being deployed.  For example: Any errors in
> artifacts in the Installed state (i.e., where the artifacts are part
> of
> installed contributions and have not been deployed) MUST NOT prevent

I agree with the general statement that runtimes should be allowed to
detect syntactic errors upfront since that is what users would expect
and want (i.e. contributions should not be installed if they contain
invalid artifacts). However, I don't follow the part about not
preventing artifacts from being deployed. Is it the case that an error
in some random contribution artifact A, does not prevent a composite C
in the same contribution from being deployed? Many users would want to
prevent that scenario. For example, I would expect most users would
only want "clean" contributions in a production environment.

IMO it is better to only mandate the runtime report errors for
deploying composites and dependent artifacts but not specify the
precise point in the deployment process when those errors must be
raised. Specifically, errors can be raised at install time or the
actual include/add-to-domain step. In some cases, errors can only be
raised during the include/add phase. For example, most wiring errors
(non-existent target) can only be detected at that point. However,
those cases are already handled by wiring rules.

Also, if an artifact not in the set of transitive deploying
dependencies contains an error, the runtime should be free to report
the error. Actually, I would expect a runtime by default would report
this error at install-time (in some cases overriding this behavior may
be required).

I don't see how this is an issue for the conformance tests since they
should use runtime-specific mechanisms to perform deployment and
report back the results of that operation.  I don't completely grok
the test cases (they seem to make Tuscany-specific assumptions) but my
thought is they should have some type of SPI that contains an
interface similar to the following:

public interface RuntimeBridge {

	DeploymentResult deployUsingIncludeInDomain(URL contributionUrl,
Set<QName> deployables);

	DeploymentResult deployUsingAddDomain(URL contributionUrl, Set<QName>
deployables);

	DeploymentResult removeFromDomain(Set<QName> deployables);   // note
I'm not quite sure about the parameters to this operation but
deployables seems reasonable

// ....

}

This SPI interface would be used to drive testing of the domain
operations (inclusion, addition and removal). DeploymentResult could
report back expected raised errors. The actual runtime-specific
implementations could use a single step or multiple steps to perform
these operations. (As an aside, the name "RuntimeBridge" is probably
not the most descriptive and It's interesting to note that the
interface is actually the start of a Java-based deployment API.)

Given this, I'm not sure the contribution states need to be specified
at this point. Doing so may provide value but there is also the risk
of under-specifying them. FWIW, in Fabric3 we use a state-machine
approach to manage contributions that contains a number of states,
including stored, installed, deployed, undeployed, uninstalled, and
removed. A stored contirbution, for example, is not loaded in memory
and used when a contribution is uploaded to the domain (which can be a
remote operation) to check integrity. Further, certain operations may
not be performed if a contribution is in a particular state. For
example, an administrator cannot remove a contribution without first
undeploying all contained deployed composites. Properly defining these
states will likely require significant effort so it may be best to
defer this until a later revision.

Jim