Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] SCA event processing principles and WSDL MEPs

Danny,

OK, let's discuss WSDL MEPs, although I will point out in advance that WSDL isn't the whole story for Web services
and it is interesting to observe that there are 2 other specifications in the Web services world that have attempted to
describe Web services models for Event processing (WS-Eventing and WS-Notification), so that I contend that
WSDL on its own is by no means a sufficient description of things.

There are 4 WSDL MEPs (ignoring the Robust versions described in WSDL 2.0, which only really differ in their
handling of errors):

in-only    or  "one way"

in-out       or  "request-response"

out-only  or  "notification"

out-in       or    "solicit response"

I think that previously, I *did* deal with the first two - services can clearly work in these tow MEPs with no problems - and
SCA provides these.

My question is whether in-only is a model for Event processing.  I will discuss that in another email, as promised
before.

In this email, I'd like to look at the final two MEPs - out-only and out-in.

These are fine but problematic MEPs.  They are problematic in that there is an assumption that a service is
going to send out a message to some client FIRST, as part of some operation.

Which leads to the obvious question - how did the service know who to talk with?

SCA already provides ONE answer to this question, although it does not currently model things using out-only
and out-in MEPs.  I am referring to the SCA callback functionality.  This is precisely of the out-only and out-in
form from the service provider point of view.  The service provider knows who to talk with because in an SCA
callback context, there MUST be an initiating forward call from the client, which thus identifies the client (and which
MUST provide a callback address, per the SCA specs).

This usage is clearly in the context of a service interaction.  Client makes a forward call and expects zero or more
callback invocations from the service provider.

Currently, SCA  does NOT model the callback operations as out-only and out-in operations on the forward service
interface.  Instead we chose the approach of defining a second interface which carries those operations as
in-only and in-out operations, but with the "client" acting as provider.  I think that this is probably an optimal
approach since I am not sure that the available tooling for common languages provides adequate support for
doing things using out-only and out-in marking in the WSDL (you are welcome to show that this statement is not
correct).

WS-Eventing and WS-Notification provide a different context for out-only and out-in processing.  These Event
processing specs involve an initial subscription of the event consumer to the event producer, which then
provides the address of the consumer for the producer to use when emitting event(s).  The producer (the
service provider in service parlance) then knows where to send any events is produces.

I note that we have no model in SCA at present for this type of subscription handling.  Still less do we have a
model for the broker capability implied by WS-Notification which provides for M x N communities of producers
and consumers.  Note that there is an implication, as there is for a callback, that the client (ie reference) has
a service interface that is invoked by the "service" (ie the consumer).

My contention is that the very existence of the WS-Eventing and WS-Notification specifications indicates that we
are entering a new world once these forms of Event notification are considered.  I believe that the SCA model
will need similar extending in order to deal with the issues raised by this form of interaction.

Danny van der Rijn <dannyv@tibco.com> wrote on 09/09/2009 22:59:49:

> [image removed]

> Re: [sca-assembly] SCA event processing principles

> Danny van der Rijn

> to:

> Mike Edwards

> 09/09/2009 22:59

> OASIS Assembly

> [Perhaps this stuff was discussed on the call today, but alas, I
> wasn't able to attend.]
>
> I think your reply below glosses over an important point, Mike.  IMO
> the Service world that you describe is about request/response
> services.  However, the designers of WSDL, in their infinite wisdom,
> chose to include 3 more MEPs in WSDL 1.1 over 8 years ago.
>
> In my mind, the MEP-ness of what you describe (if not the data
> aspects) are a *subset* of the service world, and not distinct from
> it.  So I believe that it is completely germane to the description.
>
> I, too, want to start with WSDL and the current Assembly 1.1 and
> examine why it fails to meet the use cases.
>
> Danny

<snip>