Subject: Draft minutes of 2009-09-22 and 23 is(are?) attached

Title: SCA-Assy - 2009-09-22

OASIS Logo

- DRAFT -

OASIS SCA-Assembly TC

22 SEP 2009 - 23 SEP 2009

Attendees

Present

Mark Combellack Avaya, Inc. Group Member
Robert Freund Hitachi, Ltd. Group Member
Eric Wells Hitachi, Ltd. Group Member
Bryan Aupperle IBM Group Member
David Booz IBM Group Member
Mike Edwards IBM Group Member
Simon Holdsworth IBM Group Member
Diane Jordan IBM Group Member
Mike Kaiser IBM Group Member
Dieter Koenig IBM Group Member
Jim Marino Individual Group Member
Simon Nash Individual Group Member
Jeff Estefan Jet Propulsion Laboratory:* Group Member
Martin Chapman Oracle Corporation Group Member
Tim Gleason Oracle Corporation Group Member
Khanderao Kand Oracle Corporation Group Member
Anish Karmarkar Oracle Corporation Group Member
Rich Levinson Oracle Corporation Group Member
Ashok Malhotra Oracle Corporation Group Member
Jonathan Maron Oracle Corporation Group Member
Jeff Mischkinsky Oracle Corporation Group Member
Gilbert Pilz Oracle Corporation Group Member
Aninda Sengupta Oracle Corporation Group Member
Sanjay Patil SAP AG* Group Member
Plamen Pavlov SAP AG* Group Member
Murty Gurajada TIBCO Software Inc. Group Member
Sabin Ielceanu TIBCO Software Inc. Group Member
Danny van der Rijn TIBCO Software Inc. Group Member
Scott Vorthmann TIBCO Software Inc. Group Member

Chairs

Martin Chapman
Mike Edwards

Scribe

Bob Freund

Agenda:

1. Introductions

Roll call
Scribe confirmation
Agenda bashing

2. Approval of minutes of previous SCA-Assembly TC meeting

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/34301/SCA%20Assembly%20minutes%202009-09-08.html
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/34303/SCA%20Assembly%20minutes%202009-09-15.html

Note: In minutes for 15 September, the resolution description for Issue 174 seems wrong - the discussion is about Issue 174 but the resolution
is written as resolving Issue 172...

3. Action Items

2009-09-15-1 status=pending Booz to offer alternative wording for Assembly-165

4. TC Administrivia

a) 1st Public Review of the Assembly Model spec ended June 23

Public comments list:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly-comment/

b) Looking for Proposals for all open issues - see Item 8 of this agenda

5. Test Assertions and TestCases

Public Review started on Aug 18 and is due to end on Oct 17.

6. Existing Issues with Proposals

ASSEMBLY 147: Assembly Specification does not define the Component Type of a Composite used as an Implementation
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-147

Updated proposal:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200909/msg00142.html
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/34331/sca-assembly-1.1-spec-cd03%2BIssue_147b.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/34330/sca-assembly-1.1-spec-cd03%2BIssue_147b.doc

ASSEMBLY 180: Composite ref pseudo schema doesn't agree with XML schema definitions - @autowire
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-180

Proposal is in JIRA
Alternative proposal:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200909/msg00146.html

ASSEMBLY 181: Handling of promoted and elements containing subelements is not described
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-181

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY-157: Make support for constrainingType an optional compliance point
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-157

Proposal:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200909/msg00232.html

ASSEMBLY 139: What is a constrainingType file supposed to look like?
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-139

Proposal:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200909/msg00233.html

ASSEMBLY 142: Need a normative statement for @autowire inheritance
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-142

Proposal:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200909/msg00226.html

ASSEMBLY 143: There are no conformance statements in section 8.5 (CD03)
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-143

Proposal:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200909/msg00227.html

ASSEMBLY 145: Unmarked MUST on line 1030 (CD03)
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-145

Proposal:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200909/msg00228.html

7. Test Suite Open Issues

ASSEMBLY 165: Poor wording in descriptions of TestCases ASM_8009 & ASM_8018
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-165

Updated proposal:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200909/msg00224.html

ASSEMBLY 167: TestComposite63.composite contains an incorrect name
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-167

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY 168: Errors in ASM_12013_TestCase artifacts
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-168

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY 169: Errors in Artifacts for ASM_12005_TestCase
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-169

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY 170: Errors in Artifacts for a set of testcases in ASM_120xx range http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-170

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY 171: Problems with artifacts for a set of the TestCases for SCA Assembly
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-171

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY 172: ASM-TA-5031 is not adequately tested by any TestCase in the Test Suite
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-172

ASSEMBLY 173: Errors in Test Artifacts for ASM_6022, ASM_5032, ASM_5016
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-173

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY 175: Current Schema for Properties does not support value attribute- [ASM50027]
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-175

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY 159: Align Test Assertion Document with latest Draft Assembly Spec
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-159

8. New Issues

None

9. Existing Issues without proposals

ASSEMBLY-132: Microsoft technical comment about the SCA Assembly Model specification #1
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-132

ASSEMBLY-149: Few comments from Siemens
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-149

ASSEMBLY 138: Assembly specification unclear on Contribution vs Deployment - when can errors in artifacts be reported?
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-138

ASSEMBLY 140: Need TAs and testcases for property/@file and property/@many=true http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-140

ASSEMBLY 158: Composite property example contradicts spec definition
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-158

ASSEMBLY 80: Create an Event Processing Model for SCA http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-80

Directional proposal is in this email:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200906/msg00129.html

Agenda:

is to explore and refine the positions we agreed at the last meeting:

Position 1: the current SCA 1.1 model needs tweaking/adding to, to
support a pub/sub paradigm.

What changes are required?

Position 2: SCA 1.1 use of WSDL has certain assumptions in
assemblers/developers heads (and current tooling), which need re-examining for pub/sub.

What are the different assumptions?

Position 3: SCA 1.1 wires and wiring may be too restrictive for pub/sub and need to be relaxed/extended.

What do we need to change?

Position 4: We agreed to discuss whether an assembler looking at SCDL should be
able to distinguish between events and one-way requests.

Contents

Topics
[1]  Opening
[2]  Action Items
[3]  Administrivia
[4]  Test Assertions and Test Cases
[5]  Issues with proposals
[6]  ASSEMBLY 147: Assembly Specification does not define the Component Type of a Composite used as an Implementation http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-147
[7]  ASSEMBLY 180: Composite ref pseudo schema doesn't agree with XML schema definitions - @autowire http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-180
[8]  ASSEMBLY 181: Handling of promoted and elements containing subelements is not described http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-181
[9]  ASSEMBLY 165: Poor wording in descriptions of TestCases ASM_8009 & ASM_8018 http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-165
[10]  Other proposals
[11]  AOB
[12]  Discussion of Approach to additnal work on Eventing and its potential impact to SCA 1.1
[13]  AOB
Table of Resolutions
Table of Action Items

Action Items

Done:
id=2009-09-15-1 status=done Booz to offer alternative wording for Assembly-165

Resolutions

Minutes

Scribe: Bob Freund

Opening

Roll - quorate with 20 of 30 voting members present
Agenda - agreed
Resolution: Minutes of 2009-09-08 approved w/o
In the minutes of 2009-09-15 the resolution to issue 174 were incorrectly described in the resolution as issue 172
Resolution: minutes of 2009-09-15 approved with the correction above w/o

Action Items

Action: id=2009-09-15-1 status=done Booz to offer alternative wording for Assembly-165

Administrivia

Doodle poll opened for available eventing call times
<Mike Edwards>
Doodle poll for alternative days & times for Event Processing discussion:
<Mike Edwards>
Three LOA requests, Chapman, Malhotra and Kand, approved w/o

Test Assertions and Test Cases

Public review will complete on Oct 17, please make comments on the public review list

Issues with proposals

ASSEMBLY 147: Assembly Specification does not define the Component Type of a Composite used as an Implementation http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-147

This proposal was intended to deal with comments received
.-3
Chapman assumes chair
Edwards reviews his proposal
Nash:
suggests reverting to the current language concerning multiplicity ref resolution ti Issue-136
Motion: m:Edwards Assembly-147 with the proposal at http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/34331/sca-assembly-1.1-spec-cd03%2BIssue_147b.pdf with the change the multiplicity attribute
<Mike Edwards>
to read "@multiplicity attribute is set to the value of the @multiplicity attribute of the <reference/> in the composite"
Resolution: m:Edwards s:Nash Resolve Assembly-147 with the proposal at http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/34331/sca-assembly-1.1-spec-cd03%2BIssue_147b.pdf with the change that multiplicity attribute description be changed to read "@multiplicity attribute is set to the value of the @multiplicity attribute of the <reference/> in the composite" w/o
<Simon Nash>
need to step away from the phone for a few mins...

ASSEMBLY 180: Composite ref pseudo schema doesn't agree with XML schema definitions - @autowire http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-180

Booz presents his proposal in the Jira
Resolution: m:Edwards s:Booz Resolve Assemby-180 with the proposal referenced by http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200909/msg00146.html w/o

ASSEMBLY 181: Handling of promoted and elements containing subelements is not described http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-181

proposal is in JIRA
Edwards walks through his proposal
<Simon Nash>
back now...
<Mike Edwards>
Change the composite reference wording to:
<Mike Edwards>
Replace the final sentence of the paragraph describing the <callback/> subelement of a composite reference (line 1511/1512)

Callback binding elements attached to the composite reference override any callback binding elements defined
on any of the promoted component references. If the callback element is not present on the composite service,
any callback binding elements that are declared on all the promoted references are used. If the callback element is not present at all, the behaviour is runtime implementation dependent.
Motion: m:Edwards resolve Assembly-181 with the proposal in Jira modified by Replace the final sentence of the paragraph describing the <callback/> subelement of a composite reference (line 1511/1512)

Callback binding elements attached to the composite reference override any callback binding elements defined
on any of the promoted component references. If the callback element is not present on the composite service,
any callback binding elements that are declared on all the promoted references are used. If the callback element is not present at all, the behaviour is runtime implementation dependent.
Resolution: m:Edwards s:Nash Resolve Assembly-181 with the proposal in Jira modified by replacing the final sentence of the paragraph describing the <callback/> subelement of a composite reference (line 1511/1512) w/o

Callback binding elements attached to the composite reference override any callback binding elements defined
on any of the promoted component references. If the callback element is not present on the composite service,
any callback binding elements that are declared on all the promoted references are used. If the callback element is not present at all, the behaviour is runtime implementation dependent.

ASSEMBLY 165: Poor wording in descriptions of TestCases ASM_8009 & ASM_8018 http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-165

Resolution: m:Edwards s:Booz Resolve Assembly-165 with the proposal in http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200909/msg00224.html w/o
ASSEMBLY 167: TestComposite63.composite contains an incorrect name http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-167
Proposal in JIRA
JIRA seems to be wedged at the moment

Other proposals

Edwards:
Suggests that folks look at proposals for 139 and 157 for next call

AOB

Straggler roll
recessed until tomorrow

Scribe: Bob Freund

Meeting of 2009-09-22 reconvenes
Additional roll is called

Discussion of Approach to additnal work on Eventing and its potential impact to SCA 1.1

<EricW>
General comment - using existing (tweaked) model to BUILD an event mechanism is a developers view of SCA...
<EricW>
... an Assembler would prefer a "artifact" that embodies an event handling mechanism
<EricW>
... it's really a case of what abstraction we want to provide
<Scott>
oops, killed too many hands
Chapman:
Events may be one to many so it is a different think than a simple one-way message
<Sanjay>
Sabin, not sure i follow your point. how does op name help for correlating multiple invocations?
<Scott>
I think he means correlate in a different sense, Sanjay
<Scott>
as in "I can consume this collection of events"
<Mike Edwards>
Sanjay - I think what I heard both Scott and Sabin say is that Operation_Name == Event_Type when WSDL is used in this context
<Scott>
that collection is the correlation he means
<Jim>
FWIW I think Scott's point about not impacting the developer is very important
<Sanjay>
Can we preserve the developer's view when filters are required?
<Martin C>
i guess if the app code recieves a message, does he care whether it passed a filter or not?
<Sanjay>
the interface developer will have to care about the ability of allowing a filter, right?
<Martin C>
yes
<Sanjay>
I am referring to filter based on type. The filer based on data values can be handled with current interface technology.
<Sanjay>
well I guess 'filter based on type' is called 'subscribe' in the current proposal.
<Martin C>
the point is the current model doesnt allow for a message on a service to be filtered out - the current semantics are it must be delivered - with policy intents to say how hard they must try
<Sanjay>
oh no ..hopefully you are not suggesting to use a policy of 'do not try hard'
<Martin C>
i think its called at least once;)
<Martin C>
thats the easiest to implement i think
<Martin C>
or is at most once = "dont try to hard"
<Sanjay>
well with a filter blocking a message type, the equivalent policy may be 'not even once'
<Sanjay>
so i guess the programmer might not care, but the interface designer will have to distinguish between whether the component is offering a service or is subscribing to events
<Martin C>
thats our view
<Martin C>
and the "wires" and matching rules are very different e.g. you dont have to have any matching on a pub/sub wire
<Martin C>
someone can send even if no one is interested
<Sanjay>
what I am struggling with in my mind is - is the filter a configuration of the component or the channel?
<Martin C>
IFF we are to use wsdl and wires, then i think we do need annotations in scdl to distinguish between refs/services and producers/consumers
<Martin C>
sanjay its both, its a components config onto a channel
<Mike Edwards>
Sanjay - in my opinion, a Filter could be applied in 3 places (logically)
<Mike Edwards>
1) in the Channel (this channel only transmits messages X, Y, Z)
<Mike Edwards>
2) On the Consumer in the Assembly layer (the Assembler only want X, Y to reach THIS consumer)
<Mike Edwards>
3) In the consumer (the developer says, I only want to receive X)
<Sanjay>
Thanks Mike. But in all the three cases, there is no impact on the component design, development or deployment, right?
<Mike Edwards>
there is for case 3)
<Sanjay>
And what we want to capture via produce/subscribe/filters metadata is essentially configuration of the channel/broker!
<Mike Edwards>
the developer needs to mark his component in some way
<Martin C>
or your relationship to the channel/broker
<Sanjay>
which currently may be done by invoking publish/subscribe API, and more importantly, what is the main reason for combinging this channel-relationship info in the composite ddefinition?
<Martin C>
so you can take it out the vode
<Mike Edwards>
One question I would like to ask Scott & Sabin is whether there would literally be 1 event type per operation in the consumer implementation - ie there would be no equivalent of "getMessage( Foo )" where Foo could be any one of a large set of event types
<Martin C>
code
<Sanjay>
what's with all oracle folks going on vacation?
Next session on eventing will be in two weeks
<Sanjay>
riding the Deathstar?

AOB

straggler roll
adjourned

[End of Minutes]
Formatted on 2009-09-27 at 14:24:45 GMT-4

Minutes formatted by Schreiber, a collection of XSLT stylesheets by Bob Freund modeled after David Booth's scribe

Schreiber diagnostics output

[Delete this section before publishing the minutes]

final validation: Title not specified, default title 'OASIS SCA-Assembly TC...' was assumed

final validation: Chair not specified, default chair was assumed

statistics: Schreiber found 113 input lines

edits: Schreiber found the following text-edit commands:

edits: Line 4: s/1./Agenda: 1.

edits: Line 35: s/discription/description

edits: Line 67: s/Agenda/Agenda:

edits: Line 81: s/"component"/"artifact"/

command-scribe: Line 2: Bob Freund is recognized

command-scribe: Line 2: Bob Freund's nick Bob has been selected

edits-command-processing: In command on line 4 search text '1.' was not found.

edit-substitute: command on line 35 succeeded, changed line 34 from 'discription' to 'description'

edit-delete: Line 35 was deleted

citation-detection-scribed: Line 56: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'ASSEMBLY 167'

edit-substitute: command on line 67 succeeded, changed line 64 from 'Agenda' to 'Agenda:'

command-scribe: Line 66: Bob Freund is recognized

command-scribe: Line 66: Bob Freund's nick Bob has been selected

edit-delete: Line 67 was deleted

edit-substitute: command on line 81 succeeded, changed line 80 from '"component"' to '"artifact"'

edit-delete: Line 81 was deleted

command-autoroll/oasis: Line 160: Attempting to fetch roll from http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/event.php?event_id=16110

command-autoroll/oasis: Line 160: Successfully fetched roll from http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/event.php?event_id=16110

system: Transformer: SAXON 9.1.0.7