Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Issue 132: Proposal

Overall, the direction of the proposal looks promising. But I do have
two comments:

1) We do need to say which parts of the assembly spec are
optional/mandatory for the implementation type extension.
For example, assembly defines the wiredByImpl feature. Obvious
implementation types don't have to implement this (Java POJO/Spring C&I
do not offer this feature). What other features are optional?
References/properties, cardinality of references? Does it have to allow
all kinds of schema types/elements for properties? Is everything
optional? If we are going to loosen the criteria for conformance, we
should say which parts are optional. If we don't, it could be assumed
that an implementation type can choose what it wants to support.

I assume all the features that do not depend on a particular
implementation type are mandatory for the runtime. Eg: recursion,
promotion, interface.wsdl.

2) I'm not sure why we need to talk about 'publicly available' or a
specific license (like Apache or GPL/LGPL). If the aim is to enable all
kinds of implementation types that want to use assembly/policy then we
should not have such a requirement. If someone wants to implement an SCA
implementation type for C#, plsql, abap, JCL, for which there will
likely be only one implementation and sell a product based on that,
what's the point of making it "publicly available" and/or "freely
available" under ASL/GPL/whatever. The actual runtime would be sold in
some product form and nobody else can implement it (no patent grants to
the underlying language). The test suite may be bundled with the product
CD and there may not be a spec for the implementation type other than
the tools/runtime documentation.
Why would we want to go through, what seems to be a nasty legalese maze,
to figure this out when it doesn't seem to (at least to me) serve any
purpose.
I think the question is, do we want the assembly spec to be widely
implemented by various runtimes that support all kinds of language? If
we go down this path, I think, for customers just plain SCA assembly
conformance isn't going to be about portability (of artifacts). It would
be about the model (and perhaps some skills portability). If customers
are interested in portability of artifacts, they would not just insist
on SCA assembly conformance but conformance to a specific impl type like
POJO/Spring/BPEL.
Alternately, if we are really interested in preventing any dilution of
the conformance claim to SCA assembly (and provide some portability
guarantees) we should keep the conformance section as is.