Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] REOPEN ISSUES 132 and 149: Update to Sanjay's Proposal

On Apr 23, 2010, at 5:33 PM, Estefan, Jeff A (3100) wrote:

> Raiser:  Jeff A. Estefan / Mike Edwards
>
> Target:  SCA Assembly Model Specification Version 1.1

> and 149

[ details snipped as they are not relevant to the point i am disputing
here]

> Justification:  The SCA assembly model should be made agnostic to
> specific implementation technology to the maximum extent possible so
> that it may be used as THE industry standard model for component and
> composite assembly.  Not all implementation technologies are “open,”
> “standards-based,” and/or “non-proprietary.”  It’s simply not
> realistic.

yes but ...   HOWEVER, those things that are not "open", "standard-
based" and/or "non-proprietary" must NOT be able to claim that they
are. I just don't see how  you can have it both ways. If you want to
claim some piece of work is a "standard", then, IMO, it must be
vetted, scrutinized, approved, AND controlled by a "jury of its
peers", so to speak, who can independently evaluate it.

> If the TC has a moral objection to such solutions, then that is a
> personal bias and it should be clearly stated at the beginning of
> each SCA-* specification.

I wouldn't characterize it as moral ( not sure what morality has to do
with this), nor would i agree it is a personal bias (unless you are
characterizing all opinions as "personal biases").

cheers,
   jeff