Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] REOPEN ISSUES 132 and 149: Update to Sanjay's Proposal

hi,
   some comments/agreements/disagreements below;

On Apr 26, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Eric Johnson wrote:

> In principle, I'm not against the notion of making SCA work for
> other implementation types.  In practice, I'm not sure that the
> revised proposal gets us there.
>
> Procedural question - what is the threshold for reopening closed
> issues?  Am I correct in thinking it is 2/3rds of all voting members
> (not just the quorum)?  I could track it down, but I suspect someone
> can answer quickly.
>
> Although the issue hasn't been opened yet, comments follow.
>
> On 04/23/2010 05:33 PM, Estefan, Jeff A (3100) wrote:
>>
>> Raiser:  Jeff A. Estefan / Mike Edwards
>>
>> Target:  SCA Assembly Model Specification Version 1.1

>> and 149
>>
>> Proposal: The following is a recommended update to Sanjay’s
>> original proposal to address Issues 132 (http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-132
>> ) and 149 (http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-149) by
>> replacing the current text of Section 13.2 (SCA Runtime) in the SCA
>> Assembly Model Spec with the language provided below.  The original
>> text of Sanjay’s proposal is included as well as the inline updates
>> showing recommended updates. Note that this proposal also comes
>> with the accompanying documentation attached.  Justification for
>> reopening these issues is articulated in the Justification section
>> that follows the proposal.
>>
>> Revised Sanjay Proposal:
>> An implementation that claims to conform to the requirements of an
>> SCA Runtime defined in this specification MUST meet the following
>> conditions:
>>
>> 1.      The implementation MUST comply with all statements in
>> Appendix C: Conformance Items related to an SCA Runtime, notably
>> all MUST statements have to be implemented.
>>
>> 2.      The implementation MUST conform to the SCA Policy Framework
>> v1.1 Specification [Policy].
>>
>> 3.      The implementation MUST support at least one implementation
>> type standardized by the OpenCSA Member Section or comply with the
>> following rules for at least one of the other implementation types:
>>
>> a.      The implementation type is defined in compliance with the
>> SCA Assembly Extension Model (Section 10 9 of the this SCA Assembly
>> Specification).
>>
>> b.      A document describing the mapping of the constructs defined
>> in the SCA Assembly specification with those of the implementation
>> type is made publicly available to its prospective development
>> community.
>>

> Under what license?  Many companies still include absurdly onerous
> licensing terms on their software.  I can imagine a license on an
> SCA document of this sort that simply disallows any public
> discussion of the quality of the SCA implementation/conformance, or
> of the document in question.  Consequently, this document, once it
> exists, may simply be of no use to anyone who receives it, because
> they may not be able to discuss it with anyone.

OASIS does not, and cannot, specify the business practices (e.g.
licenses that company choose to use for their products).
    NOTE: The IPR Policy only talks about what licenses obligated
members are required to grant for their Essential Claims, it is NOT
about products.

On the substance -
   I have no idea what "publicall available means" and besides which
-- What is to stop me from producing a document which says only:
        "My product does some really cool mappings"
While absurd, this meets the requirement - and since no standards body
is involved, there is no one who can OFFICIALLY make that determination.

> My take is that anyone claiming conformance must be willing to share
> their specification of how they conform with as wide an audience as
> possible, so that it can be subject to the broadest scrutiny.  This
> doesn't need to imply any sort of license to the underlying
> technologies, just the freedom to copy the specification.  In
> addition, should an SCA provider come up with a useful way to
> specify conformance, the SCA community could benefit from being able
> to see that alternate approach.

nice sentiments and I agree with them. BUT, again, none of this is
enforceable.

> I've argued before, and I'm arguing again we could mandate one of
> any number of useful licenses for accommodating these needs.  Some
> Creative Commons license (Creative Commons Attribution?) might be
> sufficient.

OASIS can't mandate anything of the sort.

>> Such a document should help in understanding how SCA components can
>> be developed using the implementation type, how these components
>> can be configured and assembled together (as instances of
>> Components in SCA compositions). A template for such a document
>> entitled "Implementation Type Documentation Requirements for SCA
>> Assembly Model Version 1.1 Specification" has been provided by this
>> Technical Committee.  The contents outlined in this document
>> template MUST be completed in order for an implementation type to
>> claim compliance with the SCA Assembly Specification. To get an
>> idea about the purpose and scope of such a document that describes
>> the implementation type, see the Client and Implementation
>> specifications for the implementation types standardized by the
>> OpenCSA Member section.
>>

> The "Implementation Type Documentation Requirements ..." document
> sounds useful.  Absent that document, I don't see a point to opening
> the issue, as this document is at the heart of whether or not we can
> define our way out of this box.  I've long thought that the Assembly
> TC should actually formally define what it means to be a valid
> implementation or binding specification, so that we'd have a list of
> criteria that all the specs could satisfy.  I'd want to see such a
> document before addressing the question of reopening the closed
> issues.

I agree. --- when someone gets around to writing it, it would be very
useful

> Question - once we have this document, don't we have to go back
> through and validate that the existing specs satisfy the criteria?

yes

>> c.      An adapted version of the SCA Assembly Test Suite for
>> testing the implementation type is created and is made
>> publiclyavailable to its prospective development community.
>>
> Again, my concerns about the narrow focus.
>
>> A template for such a document entitled "Test Suite Adaptation for
>> SCA Assembly Model Version 1.1 Specification" has been provided by
>> this Technical Committee.  The contents outlined in this document
>> template MUST be completed in order for an implementation type to
>> claim compliance with the SCA Assembly Specification.
>>

> Again, this document would be useful, independent of this issue, but
> absent it, I don't see a point to reopening the closed issues.

+1

cheers,
   jeff m