Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] [ASSEMBLY-227]: (1.2) Promotion of consumers andproducers undermines composability

Folks,

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I agree with Peter's summary and comments below.

A couple of things to add:

a) It is possible with references and with services to build composites that have hard wired addresses nested into lower level composites
and which cannot be overridden when the composite is used to implement a component in a higher level composite.  This is a close parallel
of the use of Domain-level channels in the Event Processing model.

b) JMS Topics are indeed very close to Domain level channels, but please remember that there are potentially many other bindings than
JMS that might be used to implement SCA Event Processing channels.  The fact that SCA Channels can be mapped to JMS Topics is
goodness, but the fact that they are more abstract also means that they can be mapped to other types of binding.

From: Peter Niblett/UK/IBM@IBMGB
To: Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com>
Cc: OASIS Assembly <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 11/05/2010 12:24

Eric

I have read your correspondence with Dave Booz, and taken a quick look at your revisions. I have a number of things to ask about that, but first I would like to understand the issues here.

I think your points relative to the Feb 12 draft can be summarized as

1. Components within a composite can be directly wired to a domain-level channel (see the example in figure 2-6). As Dave points out, this can be viewed as breaking encapsulation as there is nothing explicit in the component types of components D1 and D2 that tells you that this is going on (since you can't reconfigure it when assembling the composite). You have to look inside the definitions of composites X and Y to see this, and if there is a deep nesting of composites you have to look down all the levels.

2. The mechanism of linking up producing and consuming components within a composite, e.g. in the case shown in figure 2-5, is awkward. You have to configure the @sources of the consumers and the @targets of the producers to point to the same channel

3. At the moment channels are either completely private (scoped only within a single composite), or completely global (when they are in the domain). There is no mechanism for promoting a channel so that it is visible only to a given composite and its subcomponents.

4. Domain level channels don't seem to be necessary since we could do the same thing by binding to JMS topics.

Please correct me if this is wrong.

In "defence" of the OSOA spec, what we were trying to do is

a) Allow true decoupling of event-centric components, so that it is possible to author a component as a pure consumer and/or producer of events without knowing how these components are going to be assembled. This means keeping details of the channels out of the component types. This is the main motivation for having <producer> and <consumer> elements in the component type and for declaring filters as part of the consumer (if there's no way a component can handle a particular kind of event, it should say so)

b) Allow an assembler - if he/she wishes - to define a tight coupling of components so that they can be wired up without "leakage" of events outside a composite, and without external events coming into the composite uninvited. This is needed when you are modelling event processing applications. This is why we have private channels scoped within components, as shown in figures 2-4, 2-5 and 2-7.

c) Allow loose binding of components, where producers are not aware of the identities of the consumers and vice versa, and where there is some kind of global event distribution mechanism (an event bus if you will) that spans all application components. This is done by having global channels at the domain level

d) Provide an abstraction that allows event distribution to be modelled in a protocol neutral fashion. This is the reason for having channels in the model at all.

Maybe the confusion is caused by accommodating both b) and c) simultaneously.

Returning to the points

1. It is true that you can do this, see figure 2-6, but you don't have to. The alternative is to promote the producers and consumers, so they do become visible at the next level up and then can be wired to a channel (or promoted further) by the person assembling that composite. That's what you would do if you were designing libraries of reusable nested event processing components. On the other hand if you really do have a uniform event bus concept that spans all your components, we felt it would be unnecessarily tedious for people to have to do this all the time.

2. I agree that this is awkward. I have always favoured being able to wire a producer directly to a consumer (effectively having an implicit channel). You should also be able to choose whether you establish this by setting @target on the producer or @source on the consumer. That same mechanism could be used if you have an explicit channel, so you could set the @targets/@sources on the channel to point at the producers/consumer (effectively what Eric does in his example of figure 2-4) rather than the other way round.

3. At the moment we accommodate both use cases (completely private or completely global). Intermediate cases sound interesting, but I am not sure whether anyone really needs them. Just to be clear on how we'd expect things to work at the moment... if you look at figure 2-4 you would normally either wire a producer/consumer (the yellow triangles) to a channel or promote them. That's what the figure shows. You could promote the consumer for component 4, in which case it would receive events from the outside AND events from channel A (which can only have come from components 1 and 2). One other thing one could consider is allowing the input or output of the channel (which are in effect producers and consumers themselves) to be promoted, to allow events from the outside to go directly into channel A without having to go via components 1 or 2, but again I'm not sure why that would be useful.

4. I think modelling the distribution mechanism is a good thing.

Regards

Peter Niblett
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology