Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Misadventures exploring "@coupledTo" for proposedresolution of ASSEMBLY-227

On 12/9/2010 11:29 PM, Mike Edwards wrote:
OFF00C6CF3.500B6030-ON802577F5.00271C00-802577F5.0028A925@uk.ibm.com" type="cite">
Eric,

Some revealing comments - some responses inline....

Yours, Mike

Dr Mike Edwards  Mail Point 146, Hursley Park
STSM  Winchester, Hants SO21 2JN
SCA & Services Standards  United Kingdom
Co-Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC
IBM Software Group
Phone: +44-1962 818014
Mobile: +44-7802-467431 (274097)
e-mail: mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com>
To: Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB
Cc: sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 08/12/2010 23:09

Hi Mike,

On 12/8/10 8:10 AM, Mike Edwards wrote:

Folks,

I find it VERY hard to see how this "double headed beast" termed "prosumer" (or use whatever other term you find more congenial) is

in any way simpler or avoiding of the problems laid at the door of either "groupID" or "coupledTo".

I boil it down to the difference between negative and positive assertions.  I find it far more useful to search a list of positive assertions about what I MUST do with a "prosumer" rather than to search a list of negative assertions about what I cannot do with a producer and consumer that are "coupled".  With the positive case, I can simply search the spec for references to "prosumer".  In the negative case, I must read everything to make sure I haven't missed a constraint.

<mje>
If it is positive vs negative that worries you, I am sure I can cast the requirements on consumers / producers
using positive assertions
</mje>

The trouble with "prosumer" is that I think it ends up having to include all the features and capabilities of both a producer and a consumer,

with the need for both @target and @source - and also allowing for promotion

Yes.
(and in the worst case allowing for promotion to a
prosumer, to a consumer & to a producer).

That's nonsensical to me. I don't see any reason you ever allow for splitting of a prosumer's characteristics once you've brought them together.

<mje>
That is one of the most revealing comments on this issue so far.

What that says, in my terms, is that linked producers/consumers CANNOT be used in ways that are
standard for non-linked ones.

This is very similar to what we do for consumers (or producers) when promoted together.
Everybody outside the composite that promoted the consumers (or producers) have no clue that there is essentially a fan-out (or a fan-in) going in. For example, if consumer A and B get promoted together as consumer C, a higher level composite when it connects C, necessarily connects A and B. Of course, I'm allowed to promote just A and just B as well.

OFF00C6CF3.500B6030-ON802577F5.00271C00-802577F5.0028A925@uk.ibm.com" type="cite">I asked about this at the F2F and didn't get a crisp answer.  But the comment above seems very crisp.  Let me paraphrase
how I read that comment:

"When there is a linked producer/consumer, the producer/consumer can only EVER be connected in such a way that the
channel(s) connecting them always send every event from the producer to the consumer."  In other words if I as the
Assembly happen to want to take the events from the producer and send them out to some group of consumers which
DOES NOT include the linked consumer, I can't do it.  Even if I did have a separate connection from the producer to
the linked consumer which ensures that the required linking is satisfied.

If my paraphrase is correct, then I am now parting company from this whole notion of linking.  This is undermining the
capabilities that I want to see Assemblers having at their fingertips.  What's the point of that??
</mje>

 AND the rule has to be that some combination of these things ensures that there is a "path"
that connects the prosumer to itself via some channel.

Since the prosumer has a single identity, defining it at the edge of a composite, and then wiring that to a channel in the containing composite results in wiring a *single* thing.  How could the path you refer to actually be broken?

<mje>
This tends to confirm my paraphrase above.  The restriction implied is too great.
</mje>

Why? If this kind of splitting was desired, the underlying composite should promote the producer(s)/consumer(s) separately as well. No?

To go back to my diagram from the f2f, once you create a hermaphrodite (prosumer), you can't go back to splitting the two sexes.

OFF00C6CF3.500B6030-ON802577F5.00271C00-802577F5.0028A925@uk.ibm.com" type="cite">
To avoid those problems, you end up having to place restrictions on what a prosumer can do - and any such restrictions are equally

applicable to "groupID" or "coupledTo" (etc).

As for avoiding the notion of a producer explicitly naming a consumer - that IS the game we are in here.  You can't hide it, no matter

how you try.  For sure, the producer and the consumer involved may be connected via some (as yet unspecified) channel, but the

fact of them BEING connected to one another IS the point of this function.

You want simplicity?  Then don't have this "this producer must be connected to this consumer" type of function in the model at all.

Clearly an Assembler can achieve this function if they so wish - it's a piece of cake for the assembler.  It's just that putting this metadata

into the model in a way that it can be POLICED by the runtime (or by tooling) is what generates all this complexity.  Leave it as

descriptive metadata in the implementations/composites.  Job done.

I think the complexity of the current spec is somewhat manufactured.  Take this:
"One technique which enables component producers to send events outside the composite and for component consumers to receive events from outside the composite is to configure producers and/or consumers of components inside the composite to use domain channels – that is, channels at the Domain level."

Suppose we define "event endpoint" as encompassing "producers" and "consumers".  I can then rewrite the above as:
"One technique which enables event endpoints of components to send and receive events outside of the composite is to configure those event endpoints to use domain channels - that is, channels at the Domain level."

Now, notice that if I define "event endpoint" as encompassing "producers", "consumers", and "prosumers", the the above statement stays exactly the same.

Consider the following revision:
An event endpoint declares where the messages it produces are sent through a list of one or more target URIs in its @target attribute.  The event endpoint declares the sources for the messages it receives through a list of one or more source URIs in its @source attribute.  The form of these URIs include:
  • The URI of a channel in the same composite as the producer, in the form channelName
  • The URI of of a channel at the Domain level in the form //channelName
The above is simpler than the current text.

To bear the above assertions out, I'm currently going through and trying to make a draft which uses the abstract notion of an event endpoint.

<mje>
This isn't simplifying anything other than the language.  The concepts remain.  A producer ain't the same thing as a consumer.

Indeed, I argue that it is an attempt to sweep complexity under the carpet.  But the big bulge is still showing.  In fact, it is probably made worse.
</mje>

-Eric