Subject: RE: [sca-bindings] NEW ISSUE 7: JMS bindingType and ordered intent

I agree that this needs to be clarified.  There are many possible
semantics that could be associated with the ordered intent.  It also
could imply routing decisions -- when there are multiple consumers
pulling off the same queue, do you want 2 messages that are sent with a
strict ordering to be handled by the same consumer?

I believe that the ordering semantic should be quite weak, so that it
can apply to many possible mechanisms.

Here is a rough proposal:

Under the following conditions:
- Two messages are sent through a single reference.
- The sending component knows the order in which the messages were sent
(i.e. they weren't sent from parallel threads -- this condition needs to
be formalized).
- The two messages are both received by a component's service, and have
not been received in parallel threads (again this needs to be
formalized, or we may want to consider saying that the messages must not
be received in parallel).

Guarantee:
- The two messages will arrive at the receiving component in the same
order in which they were sent.

Naturally, if the definition is in terms of any two messages, the
complete sequence will be ordered by induction.

Michael