Subject: Relationship between sca binding/service and WSDL service

Based on the agenda, it looks like I took an action to send an email
regd the relationship between sca binding/service and WSDL service. I
believe this was in the context of issue 11. Here are my thoughts:

In SCA, references are wired to services. Services may have bindings
specified (default to binding.sca) and may have intents/policies
specified. References may have intents/policies specified.

But in SCA we do not talk about how and where the service is exposed
(except when an explicit URI is provided). If it is a local interface
then it may not be exposed at all. A service may be available only with
the bindings specified in SCDL, it may be made available with additional
bindings. It may be made available with the same bindings on two
different network endpoints -- perhaps one for clients inside the
firewall and another (portmapped) endpoint available outside the
firewall (perhaps with limited capabilities).

When binding.ws is used, it can specify a network endpoint (through the
URI attribute or by pointing to a WSDL service/port) or multiple
endpoints (by pointing to a WSDL service). OR it may not specify the
endpoint at all (by pointing to a WSDL binding) or using defaults.

If the URL is explicitly provided in the SCDL then of course it is known
apriori. If not, it is indeed left to the deployer/runtime to do the
magic, where at runtime the reference knows where the SCA service is
located. In fact, I believe it is perfectly ok for the runtime to not
even generate a WSDL service/port element, if the binding.ws pointed to
a WSDL binding element. All the WSDL service/port is going to do is
provide the URL and the runtime/deployer may know exactly what value to
inject automagically and transparently.

All this is to say that we should not impose additional restrictions on
the generated WSDL service element than those that are required. The
restrictions that are required are:
1) restrictions imposed by intents.
2) There must be at least one service/port in the generated wsdl that
matches the SCDL interface and the SCDL binding.

Some of the examples of restrictions that do *not* make sense to me are:
1) how many wsdl documents should be there. Eg the binding and service
elements can be in the same wsdl or different wsdl (with appropriate
include/import).
2) how many ports a service should contain.
3) whether the generated WSDL contains just one service element or many

Comments?