Subject: To ws-callback or not to ws-callback, that is the Q

Here is my rationale for separating out SCA ws-callback from the sca
assembly/binding.ws specs (reiterating what I've already said on the
call, but thought starting a thread might help):

1) I would like to start by asserting that what we are specifying is a
WS-splat specification. This is true regardless of whether it is buried
deep in an SCA spec or not. We are defining a on-the-wire protocol that
is specific to SOAP/WS-Addressing, and which provides a particular (much
needed) functionality. Potentially we would also provide a WSDL
description (metadata) for the bidirectional contract. If you look
around, that is exactly what most ws-splat specs do. For example, in
OASIS, we have ws-tx, ws-sx, ws-rx TCs do pretty much the same thing.
Interestingly, a similar thing happened in WS-RX TC: it started off by
defining the much needed polling functionality in the context of
reliable messaging, but realized that the way it was defined, there was
nothing specific to reliability and spun off a separate spec
(WS-MakeConnection) so as to make it reusable.
We may not have started off wanting to define yet another ws-splat spec
(does the world need another one?), but let's call a spade a spade. If
we don't want to go there, then we should not define this functionality
at all.

2) Callbacks aren't unique to SCA. Lot of examples of existing
technologies that do this. Specifically, in WS-land, there is WS-I's
sample apps, and WS-MessageDelivery. The callback functionality that we
are discussing is independent of SCA as such. At least, the WSDL
extensibility proposal in assembly and the implementation of callbacks
using SOAP, is completely independent of SCA. It is quite possible that
there are callback usecases not covered by SCA. I'm not suggesting that
we boil the ocean and create a callback spec that satisfies all possible
usecases/scenarios. We have a particular need/usecase and our spec
addresses that. If there are folks out there that have similar usecases
we should enable the reuse of our spec. If they have a different
usecase/scenario then of course they cannot use our spec (this won't
lead to more fragmentation in ws-land, at least no more than if we bury
this deep in an SCA spec). WS-splat specs are in any cases designed this
way: addresses specific functionality and are composable within the
ws-splat stack. Protocol: soap/ws-addressing, description: WSDL,
metadata: policy and then a variety of specs that target specific
functionality and are composable with each other.

3) To me this is purely a packaging issue. We won't change anything that
we specify. This is an issue of by-value v. by-reference. Although, they
essentially do the same, I would argue that from a perception POV,
by-reference is much better for reusability, getting the right people to
pay attention (and therefore feedback) and generally be on the WS-Head's
radar screen.

4) We should also think about non-SCA clients communicating to services
deployed using SCA technology. I would very much like the non-SCA
clients be able to interop with such servers without limiting interop to
non-bidirectional services.

5) A separate spec would mean more editorial work, but not necessarily
more review/spec work. Yes, we are indeed overloaded, but such a split
does have a potential upside. In fact, I would suggest separating the
WSDL extension (as SCA WS-Callback) from the SOAP binding for SCA
WS-Callback, a la WS-Addressing Core, WS-Addressing SOAP binding and
WS-Addressing Metadata. The WSDL extension is at the abstract WSDL and
provides the portType level contract which can be used with variety of
bindings. Whereas the SOAP binding of the callbacks is a concrete
wire-level protocol (nothing to do with WSDL or metadata) and specific
to SOAP.

Comments?