Subject: RE: [sca-bindings] ODF or Word format for the OASIS Specs??

Hi everyone,

  I would just like to interject for a moment, being a "doc" person (that's
someone who's spent the last three decades working with
documents/documentation/reference publishing, not meant to imply .doc)

  I strongly advise against trying to use two different applications. Each
time you transpose the information from one app to another, something will
change, be lost, or appear different. I think most are familiar with moving
a document from on version of the same application to another - things often
change. It's much worse when moving from one application to another. While
the pain can be acceptable for a one-time switch, going continually back and
forth is a recipe for disaster. I suggest the editors agree on a specific
app to be used, and reviewers either use that app or PDF.

  I would also like to say that while ODF is an OASIS Standard, any
application of that specification is not. I have encountered numerous
problems with outline numbering in OpenOffice, and the HTML conversion is
poor at best. Lotus Symphony, another ODF implementation, doesn't even
support HTML export. I have no experience with kOffice or other apps built
on ODF. You can create an ODF file from Microsoft if that's the desired
goal, but know that when that file is opened in an ODF-based application, it
will very likely lose some formatting and possibly mess up numbering as
well.

  You are free to choose an application of your liking, and remember that
any documents submitted must conform to the OASIS templates and naming
guidelines. Switching back and forth is likely to break those templates and
will require extra time for cleanup.

  Now back to your regularly-scheduled programming.

Mary