Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Updated proposal for BINDINGS-94

Mike,

What makes the binding a JMS binding is primarily the reliance on the JMS standard entities that are destinations, connection factories and activation specs to describe the manner in which the binding accesses the underlying messaging transport, and the JMS message headers that provide a means to specify some delivery options.  The JMS URI just defines a way to resolve a particular JMS destination and set some delivery options, so I don't see that requiring the URI to be a JMS URI as defined by IETF is really restricting anything as far as the JMS binding is concerned.  If we want to generalise the URI then that would be an argument for generalizing the binding as a whole - why allow reference to messaging resources that are not defined using JMS entities in the URI, if you can't do that using the JMS binding elements?

Regards, Simon

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair, AT&T and Boeing Lab Advocate
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet - Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com

From: Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB
To: sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 17/12/2009 11:30

Folks,

I have some sympathy with Eric's point.  However, I suppose the alternative argument can be made that IF the

binding is a JMS binding, then it must support the JMS URI.

However, a JMS binding really says very little about the underlying transport, so perhaps something more

permissive is wise here.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com