Subject: Re: [sca-bpel] Issue 2 - Does the spec allow a componentType sidefile?

Michael Rowley wrote:
> One thing a side file might be used for is to override the default
> algorithm that decides on which partnerlinks are services and which are
> references.  Do you agree?

Yes I do agree. That is why I raised the issue.
If the side file is present then the default does not apply.

>  If so, I think the side file would have to
> have a way of pointing from a service or reference declaration to a
> partnerlink.

To do so would require extending the <componentType> defined by
assembly. We have already done that in section 2 by introducing
<implementation.bpel process="xs:QName" .../>.

----- sidebar -----
BTW, a separate issue: why is that needed? The other C&Is do not do
this. Furthermore, the assembly spec says:
"A component type file has the same name as the implementation file but
has the extension “.componentType”. The component type is defined by a
componentType element in the file. The location of the component type
file depends on the type of the component implementation: it is
described in the respective client and implementation model
specification for the implementation type."
So what we need is is not an <implementation.bpel> element in the
componentType file, but the location of the componentType file (or raise
an issue against the assembly spec).
----- side bar -----

So your suggestion would be to extend /componentType/service and
/componentType/reference elements to include the partnerlink. Right?

A subissue (or perhaps a different issue) related to this is: we would
need additional SCA BPEL extensions in section 3 to mark services and
references (in addition to properties and multirefs). This would allow
one to specify equivalent information in a side file or in the BPEL
process itself (similar to what Java has done). I.e., side file would be
optional as far as provided functionality goes.

Yet another subissue is: if my BPEL process is SCA aware, for example it
has sca:property or sca:multiReference in it (and potentially
sca:service, sca:reference elements if we add it -- see subissue above),
do the default rules still apply?

Comments?

-Anish