Subject: Re: [sca-bpel] Issue 3 - An amended proposal - Correlation Disagreementbetween SCA and BPEL proposal

Hi, Dieter and others,

[a]
I assume we agree that we want to allow a BPEL implementation to store a message if it can be consumed by a process instance at a later point in time. Do we want to make this explicit in the normative language?
Yes, I agree that it is perfectly OK (actually typical) for a BPEL implementation to store a not-consumed-yet message. It is already implied by the non-normative text listed in the proposal, which I prefer adding parts of it into the spec text to provide readers more context:
There might not be a universal way to determine a message is truly a "dead letter message" ... However, a matching IMA may be enabled minutes, hours, or days later, as the matching IMA might be blocked in the process model.

At the same time, I am not sure we want to give ourselves more headache by providing NORMATIVE text on defining how BPEL's message persistence store should behave. I would prefer adding more text to the existing non-normative text to denote Dieter's intended clarification.

[b]
 - in case of request-response operations, would this fault manifest itself as an SCA ServiceRuntimeException?
 - in case of one-way operations, will SCA (the assembly spec?) define the coordination protocol messages?

For request-response operation:

Whether this fault be manifested as SCA ServiceRuntimeException ... that is a very good question. Since ServiceRuntimeException is a Java Exception, I think SCA-Java spec may be at a better position to give us a blanket directional statement on whether sca:* WSDL fault is manifested as ServiceRuntimeException Java Exception

If people agree with that, I guess some cross-TC people will open a new issue in SCA-Java TC.

For one-way operation:

A normative effort on defining the coordination message seem to be a non-trivial effort. First, we need to decide the following issues:
  • Whether it is one-size-fit-all protocol situation? or we will adopt multiple protocols
  • Whether we want to SCA specific protocol which may not work with non-SCA client
  • Whether we want to reuse and extend some WS-* protocol. (for example, WS-BusinessActivity, as it has some close to BPEL scope life cycle)
All these decisions are complicated enough to create its own sub-TC. :-)

Hence, I prefer not initiating an effort to define a protocol normatively (at least for now), which is in sync with the preference of Mike Edwards of removing my wordings in parentheses.

Thanks.

Regards,
Alex Yiu

Dieter Koenig1 wrote:
OF69E40D21.AFB83FE2-ONC125738B.0031DE91-C125738B.00344B43@de.ibm.com" type="cite">
Alex, Mike E, Mike R, Najeeb,

I assume we agree that we want to allow a BPEL implementation to store a
message if it can be consumed by a process instance at a later point in
time. Do we want to make this explicit in the normative language? (Of
course, it cannot be decided in many cases, and additional considerations
apply - e.g., it makes a lot of sense for one-way messages and it makes
less sense for request-response operations called via synchronous bindings
[<- btw, this is another scenario for issue BPEL-12]).

For those cases where we finally decide to return an
"sca:DeadLetterMessageError" fault to the sender, I have additional
questions:
 - in case of request-response operations, would this fault manifest itself
as an SCA ServiceRuntimeException?
 - in case of one-way operations, will SCA (the assembly spec?) define the
coordination protocol messages?

Kind Regards
DK