Subject: RE: [sca-bpel] Issue 2 - Does the spec allow a componentType side file? Someobservations

Folks,

Some comments inline.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

"Michael Rowley" <mrowley@bea.com>

18/01/2008 15:43

Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB, "OASIS BPEL" <sca-bpel@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [sca-bpel] Issue 2 - Does the spec allow a componentType side file? Some observations

Mike,

Regarding your general comment that you believe that component types are should “only be used in rare cases where it is not possible to derive all necessary information through inspection of the implementation artifact”....

There is interesting difference between BPEL and C++ or pre-annotation Java is that BPEL uses XML for its syntax, and the schema for that XML explicitly allows extensions.  This means that it is always possible to specify all of the information necessary for the component type in the BPEL file.  So, given this, why have component types?  The answer is for specifying default bindings, targets and policies that a developer might not _want_ to specify within the BPEL file.  In fact, a different person might be in charge of developing the BPEL process from the person who is developing the “SCA view” of that process.   Or, if not a different person, perhaps a different tool.

Anish has also brought up the value of having the component type _override_ information that is in the implementation, and several of us, myself included, thought that this sounds like a valuable capability.

<mje> I'm lukewarm about this capability.  It introduces complexity for little real benefit.  I note that defaults can be overridden in the configuration of a component that uses the
BPEL process as its implementation. </mje>

This gives component types a bit of a different flavor from one of just a “necessary evil”.

<mje> I don't agree that the functionality that's described is particularly useful - it can be achieved simply in other ways </mje>

Now, regarding how you find the implementation that a component type corresponds to – yes, it is possible to do this by the name of the file of the component type.  Personally, I find this awkward.  I think it is bad design for an artifact (the component type) to be fundamentally tied to another artifact (the implementation) and yet for it not to record that fact.  Depending on the location of component type means that whenever you look at a component type, you need to know where it came from in order to make any sense of it.  If you were to copy it into a registry, for example, it would no longer make sense unless you added the information about where it came from.

<mje> I can agree with your point about a registry.  My concern is that having to add labels to the componentType files adds overhead.  Perhaps I shouldn't worry so much as I think that the use of componentType files will tend to be rare - I consider that many developers will find it hard enough to stomach composite files let alone another parallel set of XML files. Adding a few extra elements in the BPEL looks trivial by comparison.</mje>

In the early days of Java, I worked in a development environment which assumed that the generated .class files would be in the same directory as the .java files (which is the default).  In many cases this is just the wrong organization of files – but the developers of this environment thought that they knew better about what would be “easy”.  They were wrong.  I believe that we should not make the same mistake.

<mje> I can see this point.  However, in Java the files are not tied to each other by labels.  They use a convention about filenames.  The location of the files can be varied, and this is typically done by the tooling used to handle the files, such as Eclipse.  Perhaps I can learn to be less worried about the actual location of the files, but the labelling just looks like some overhead to me. </mje>

These are my reasons for wanting the approach represented by my motion at the end of the last meeting, although in the interest of compromise, I could imagine supporting a mixed approach, along the lines of what Alex has proposed.

<mje> Mixtures may be the worst of all worlds.  Two ways of doing things to understand - plus the need to know which one(s) your runtime and tooling will use.  I think that I'd prefer one approach rather than 2.  Supporting 2 seems like trying to cop-out of making a decision </mje>

Michael