Subject: Re: [sca-bpel] [Issue 53] BPEL Process: References with Multiplicity0..1 - how are they supposed to work?

So reading back over this, and swapping as much of it as I can grasp back in, I'm thinking that we can't support 0..1 with a variable, as I was leaning towards on the call.

IF we define 0..1 as in this email thread, which I think is reasonable, then we only have to deal with Mike's 2 issues as below.

Issue 1

I'm not sure I understand the issue, to be frank.  Or if it's still relevant?  Let's reopen discussion of this.

Issue 2

Again, I don't have a problem with dealing with exceptions.  But I'm not unsympathetic to the problem that Mike has.  So I'll again propose new syntax.  I was thinking on the call that it would be an extension activity that would look something like:

<bpel:extensionActivity>
    <sca-bpel:ifPartnerRoleSet partnerLink="pLinkName">
        <bpel:activity/>
        <sca-bpel:else>
            <bpel:activity/>
        </sca-bpel:else>
    </sca-bpel:ifPartnerRoleSet partnerLink="pLinkName">
</bpel:extensionActivity>

And we could decompose the functionality into a virtual test and catch.  However, as I'm typing that, I think that providing an sca-bpel xpath extension function would be far simpler.  This would follow the same lexical rules as bpel:getVariableProperty, namely:

[SA00030] The arguments to bpel:getVariableProperty MUST be given as quoted strings. The previous requirement MUST be statically enforced. It is therefore illegal to pass into a WS-BPEL XPath function any XPath variables, the output of XPath functions, a XPath location path or any other value that is not a quoted string. This means, for example, that bpel:getVariableProperty("varA","b:propB") meets the previous requirement while bpel:getVariableProperty( $varA, string(bpel:getVariableProperty("varB", "b:propB") ) does not. Note that the previous requirement institutes a restriction which does not exist in the XPath standard.

sca-bpel:isPartnerRoleSet('partnerLinkName') would return true if the role is set, and false otherwise.  Still explain in spec as virtual test and catch.  Or leave that as an exercise to the reader.

Danny