sca-c-cpp message

Subject: NEW ISSUE: Support of Scopes

RAISER: Bryan Aupperle

TARGET: SCA C++ and C Specification sections titled "Component Implementation Scopes"  (2.3 of CD 01)

DESCRIPTION: The Java Common Annotation and API specification states that support for scopes is optional while the C++ and C C&I specifications requires support for the stateless, conversation, request and composite scopes.

Specifically from the Java CAA spec:

This document defines four scopes:
STATELESS
REQUEST
CONVERSATION
COMPOSITE
Java-based implementation types can choose to support any of these scopes, and they MAY also define new scopes specific to their type.
The following sections specify four standard scopes which a Java-based implementation type MAY support.

But from the C++ C&I (and the wording in the C C&I spec is equivalent) :

The SCA C++ Client and Implementation Model mandates support for the four basic scopes; stateless, request, conversation, and composite. Additional scopes MAY be provided by SCA runtimes.

The following sections specify the scopes an SCA runtime MUST support for C++ component implementations.

PROPOSAL:   Change the support of scopes from required to optional.  I.e. the above becomes:

The SCA C++ Client and Implementation Model allows support for the four basic scopes; stateless, request, conversation, and composite. Additional scopes MAY be provided by SCA runtimes.

The following sections specify the scopes an SCA runtime MAYsupport for C++ component implementations.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com