sca-c-cpp message

Subject: Re: [sca-c-cpp] SDO type customization

The SDO type mapping customizations (both existing and proposed are with respect to SDO types, not a direct customization between language types and schema types (which is what we need).  Therefore, I think we need something like this:  (its for C, but the C++ version would require only minor tweaks).

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

Bryan Aupperle/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

01/19/2009 12:59 PM

sca-c-cpp@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[sca-c-cpp] SDO type customization

The SDO 2.1 specs defines a schema extension that allows the mapping for schema elements and attributes to be customized..  There is no mechanism for specifying an adapter function, so only the predefined conversions are supported..

The SDO 2.1 spec does not define a way to customize the mapping of an SDO property type to a schema type.

In the SDO TC there have been, and will be, discussions about creating SDO type definitions from Java classes.  These discussion are still early, and have not yet covered customization.  Similar discussions for C++ could take place, but have not yet..

The use cases I am most concerned about are schemas using Decimal or Integer (or its restrictions) when side information provides range constraints that would allow mapping to numeric types and C++ strings where side information defines the usage to be something like URI, a data format, etc.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com