Subject: Re: Fw: [sca-j] package names

I think we need to give Mary some more of this picture, such as the
existence of the previous API names and the inconvenience to SCA users if
the names are changed.  The case of existing code moving into a new "home"
is not the same as when new APIs are created from scratch, because of the
large body of existing code using the current package names.

For example, a lot of APIs in the JDK that started life as javax.* did not
get renamed to java.* when they moved from outside the JDK to inside the
JDK.  Similarly, the JDK has adopted APIs defined by other bodies and
included them in the JDK without changing their names (e.g., org.omg.*,
org.xml.*, org.w3c.*).

For schema namespaces there is a valid technical reason for renaming in
order to make the URIs dereferenceable at a site under OASIS control. This
consideration does not apply to API names.

    Simon

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

Bryan Aupperle <aupperle@us.ibm.com>
14/01/2008 13:29

sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org
cc

Subject
Fw: [sca-j] package names

Mary's feedback.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com
----- Forwarded by Bryan Aupperle/Raleigh/IBM on 01/14/2008 08:29 AM -----

"Mary McRae" <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
Sent by: Mary McRae <marypmcrae@gmail.com>
12/13/2007 05:06 PM

Please respond to
<mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>

Bryan Aupperle/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc

Subject
RE: [sca-j] package names

Thanks Bryan, for the info. I hadn?t considered actual executable code. I
think replacing osoa with oasis is all that would be required; beyond that
I would accept best practice. Most TCs aren?t involved in writing code, or
it?s done as an external project and not part of the actual TC work
product.

I?m glad I asked the question!

Mary