Subject: Re: [sca-j] Another early morning brainstorm - conversations revisited

Meeraj,
I agree that it would be good to avoid "bleeding" SCA APIs into business interfaces.

On your other point about conversational and non-conversational services being different, I think I slightly mis-stated the point I was intending to make.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I agree that both the interface and service implementation will have some differences, as you say.  However, I think the differences should be kept to a minimum, consistent with the different semantics involved.  In particular, I don't think the way a service makes a callback invocation should need to be different just because the service is conversational.

    Simon

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

"Meeraj Kunnumpurath" <mkunnumpurath@googlemail.com>

30/07/2008 22:18

sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
Re: [sca-j] Another early morning brainstorm - conversations revisited

Simon,

As a user, I would be extremely concerned with bleeding SCA API into business interfaces. I can understand the usage of annotations from SCA API and to some extent the usage of api like RequestContext. However, polluting the business signature, with SCA details, IMHO is an anti-pattern. IMO, we should be striving to make the technology non-invasive, rather than bleeding technology concerns into the user space.

On a slightly different note, you mention in your note that the service contract of conversational and non-conversational services would become the same. Isn't conversationality something inheernt in the service contract. Why would someone want both conversational and non-conversational services to have the same contract?

Thanks
Meeraj