Subject: Re: [sca-j] JAVA-65 - SCA Lifecyle proposal

Folks,

First, thanks to Mark for a lot of hard work putting this proposal material together.

When I read the proposal, my reaction is as it had been back at the F2F meeting:

"too complex"

Basically, I cannot understand the need for the @PostInit  and @PreDestroy methods.
Do we really need these?  What's the use case?

I argue for a simpler model, where there are only @Init and @Destroy methods:
- Construction occurs
- Injection occurs, Properties then References
- @Init processing occurs

- Running - Services can be called

- @Destroy processing occurs
- Garbage collection

References are usable anytime between invocation of the @Init method and the
termination of the @Destroy method.  Services will ONLY be dispatched on the
instance AFTER @Init processing completes and BEFORE @Destroy method
is invoked.

I note that initialization CAN occur either in construction or in injection processing,
although not of the type that involves invoking references.  Other initialization can
occur in @Init, with references available...

Why would we need anything more than this?

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com