Subject: An appeal against TC Admin decision on Java package names

To the SCA-J TC:

In accordance with Section 4.2 of the TC Process Document
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#appeals),
and before the deadline stipulated in that Section, I hereby
acknowledge receipt of the appeal included below, and I inform the
TC of such appeal.

To the appellants:

I must also express deep confusion, as the "detail" section of
the Procedural part of the appeal stops short (April 24) without
acknowledging the fact that there was a long thread after that date,
which included the initiation of a formal appeal (May 2) and its
subsequent suspension (may 8)[1]. Apart from the fact that this does
not meet in its entirety the requirement that "Previous efforts to
resolve the objection(s) and the outcome of each shall be noted.",
I am not clear as to the relationship between the current appeal and
the previous one.  The previous one was suspended, not terminated,
so one could think of this as a request to restart it; however,
since the list of appellants in this case is not completely the same
as the list of appellants in the previous case, I am assuming, until
and unless I am told I am wrong, that this is a different appeal.

I am enclosing a couple of relevant email messages, in whose cc
list many of the current appellants (but not all) were included.

Please be aware that until such time as the appeal may be resolved
in favor of the appellants, the decisions taken by TC Administration
are valid and binding.

[1] Because of the very short interval between initiation and
suspension, there was no opportunity for me at that time to inform
either the TC or the Board of such an appeal.

--
Eduardo Gutentag
eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org

Our grounds for this appeal are as follows.

TECHNICAL

(Summary)

The proposed package name prefix does not conform to normal Java naming conventions, is hard to say and hard to type, and would not be liked by Java developers.

(Detail)

The decision comes in two parts.

1. The need for the SCA Java APIs to change the package name prefix from "org.osoa " to a different package name prefix that is controlled by OASIS.

2. The proposed package name prefix of "org.oasis_open" to be used by the SCA-J TC.

This appeal concerns the second part of the decision.  The SCA-J TC discussed this and voted not to accept the proposed package name prefix of "org.oasis_open", for the following reasons:

1. The proposed package name prefix does not conform to normal Java naming conventions.  Specifically, the use of an underscore in package names is highly unusual and unconventional.

2. The proposed package name prefix is hard to say and hard to type.  When talking about these APIs, it would be necessary to say "org dot oasis underscore open dot sca dot ComponentContext".  When typing these APIs, the shifted character underscore would need to be entered.  Both of these are burdensome on SCA Java developers.

3. Precedents (as far as they exist) suggest that this package name prefix would not be liked by Java developers.  Specifically, package names containing underscores have been used for some CORBA package names in the JDK, and these have been the subject of user complaint.

The "org.oasis_open" package name is the result of applying the convention suggested in the Java Language Specification (Third Edition, section 7.7) to the "oasis-open.org" domain name.  In order to produce an acceptable package name, the Java package prefix would need to be derived from some other domain name.  The SCA-J TC discussed some options and voted to recommend the org.oasisj prefix to OASIS as being suitable and acceptable.  This would require that OASIS acquires the corresponding domain name, which is currently available.

PROCEDURAL

(Summary)

This decision was a reversal of an earlier decision, and the earlier decision was reversed without consultation with the SCA-J TC despite multiple efforts by the TC to engage in dialogue.

(Detail)

This issue was raised with Mary on March 2 (ref. [2]).  She sent a decision on March 7 (ref.[3])  On March 10 she asked us to hold off from implementing the decision and said she may have a couple of questions to be answered (ref. [4]).

I replied to Mary on March 10 (ref. [5]) inviting her or other OASIS staff involved in the decision to discuss this matter with the SCA-J TC.  She did not respond.  On March 25, I sent another email (ref. [6]) repeating my invitation to discuss this with the TC.  Again, she did not respond.

On April 3 she sent a response (ref. [1]) with a decision that completely reversed the original decision.  There had been no consultation with the TC about this change to the decision, despite my two invitations to have this discussion.  She also indicated that the decision was final (despite the lack of discussion) and that it could only be changed by formal appeal.

This decision was unacceptable to the TC for the technical reasons stated above.

On April 24 I sent Mary an email informing her of this (ref. [7]), with a proposed resolution that would be acceptable to the TC, and asking if we could resolve this without need for an appeal.  She acknowledged the email (ref. [8]) and said she would get back to us in a few days.  She has not done so.

At this point we are up against the 30-day appeal deadline and the TC has exhausted all attempts to reach a mutually agreeable resolution through dialogue, despite all efforts to do this.

We therefore feel we have no option but to initiate this formal appeal.

    Simon Nash    IBM    OASIS SCA-J TC Co-Chair
    Michael Rowley    BEA Systems, Inc.    OASIS SCA-J TC Co-Chair
    Michael Beisiegel    IBM    OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
    David Booz    IBM    OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
    Mark Combellack    Avaya Inc.    OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
    Martin Chapman    Oracle Corporation    OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
    Jim Marino    BEA Systems, Inc.    OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
    Anish Karmarkar    Oracle Corporation    OASIS SCA-J TC Voting Member
    Ashok Malhotra    Oracle Corporation    OASIS SCA-J TC Member

REFERENCES

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200804/msg00007.html
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00000.html
[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00022.html
[4] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00026.html
[5] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00027.html
[6] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00060.html
[7] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200804/msg00044.html
[8] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200804/msg00045.html

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

Unless stated otherwise above:

--- End Message ---

--- Begin Message ---
Mary,
The domain oasisopen.org is already owned by someone else, as is the domain oasis.org.  If OASIS is willing to offer the prefix org.oasisopen despite not having ownership of oasisopen.org, would OASIS be willing to offer the prefix org.oasis?  It would seem inconsistent to offer one of these but not the other.

The TC proposed org.oasisj because the oasisj.org domain is currently unowned and therefore available for acquisition by OASIS.  If this is not a constraint, my personal preference would be org.oasis.  In expressing this preference I am speaking for myself and not on behalf of the TC.

    Simon

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

"Mary McRae" <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
Sent by: Mary McRae <marypmcrae@gmail.com>

02/05/2008 19:49
Please respond to
<mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>

Simon Nash/UK/IBM@IBMGB, <eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org>
cc
<mbgl@us.ibm.com>, <booz@us.ibm.com>, <martin.chapman@oracle.com>, <mcombellack@avaya.com>, <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>, <jmarino@bea.com>, <mrowley@bea.com>, <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
Subject
RE: Appeal of the OASIS decision on SCA-J package names

Hi all,

  My apologies for not sending a formal response sooner – I have been at the OASIS Symposium all week attending sessions and meetings and literally just arrived home after a red-eye flight. I spoke with Mike Edwards about this on Tuesday at the member reception. While the use of the underscore is the recommended practice, we (OASIS staff) all agree that underscores are thorny characters and would prefer to omit them. I asked Mike if he thought simply dropping the hyphen would be acceptable and he indicated that he thought it would – i.e. org.oasisopen.csa.

  Eduardo, in the role of interim President, has been part of this conversation. If the above is acceptable to the TC, please acknowledge.

Regards,

Mary

[...]

Thanks for the clarification.  I understand the distinction and I will put this on the agenda for this week's SCA-J TC call.

    Simon

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

"Mary McRae" <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
Sent by: Mary McRae <marypmcrae@gmail.com>

03/05/2008 17:27
Please respond to
<mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>

Simon Nash/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
<Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>, <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>, <booz@us.ibm.com>, <eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org>, <jmarino@bea.com>, <martin.chapman@oracle.com>, "'Mary McRae'" <marypmcrae@gmail.com>, <mbgl@us.ibm.com>, <mcombellack@avaya.com>, <mrowley@bea.com>
Subject
RE: Appeal of the OASIS decision on SCA-J package names

Yes – oasisopen.org appears to be owned by someone just sitting on the domain – if it’s agreeable we can look into what it would take to purchase it if that’s absolutely required. Conversely, oasis.org is a live site – a gift/trade show, which is not an acceptable solution.

Mary

Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com; ashok.malhotra@oracle.com; booz@us.ibm.com; eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org; jmarino@bea.com; martin.chapman@oracle.com; Mary McRae; mbgl@us.ibm.com; mcombellack@avaya.com; mrowley@bea.com
[...]

The appellants would like this appeal to be put into abeyance until the current round of discussions on this subject has completed.

Many thanks.

    Simon

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

Eduardo Gutentag <eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org>

06/05/2008 15:42

Simon Nash/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com, ashok.malhotra@oracle.com, booz@us.ibm.com, jmarino@bea.com, martin.chapman@oracle.com, mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org, mbgl@us.ibm.com, mcombellack@avaya.com, mrowley@bea.com
Subject
Re: Appeal of the OASIS decision on SCA-J package names

It is in abeyance (that is, suspended) until one of three things
happen:

a) the appellants withdraw their appeal, in which case it just goes
away

b) the appellants re-instate their appeal, in which case the clock
starts ticking again

c) the appellants change their original appeal into something else,
in which case the clock is reset to 00:00

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200804/msg00007.html>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00000.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00000.html>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00022.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00022.html>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00026.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00026.html>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00027.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00027.html>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00060.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200803/msg00060.html>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200804/msg00044.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200804/msg00044.html>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200804/msg00045.html

>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
>  > Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
>  > Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999
>  >
>  >
>  > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >
>  > /
>  > /
>  >
>  > /Unless stated otherwise above:
>  > IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with number
>  > 741598.
>  > Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire
> PO6 3AU/
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>
> --
> Eduardo Gutentag
> OASIS President
> eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org
> +1 510-550-4616
> <
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/email/archives/200804/msg00045.html>

> /
> /
>
> /Unless stated otherwise above:
> 741598.
> Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO6 3AU/

--
Eduardo Gutentag
OASIS President
eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org
+1 510-550-4616

Unless stated otherwise above:

--- End Message ---

--- Begin Message ---
Mary,
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.  The sca-j TC discussed this at our last meeting and passed the following motion:

"The sca-j TC supports the use of the package prefix org.oasisopen, assuming that the oasisopen.org domain is acquired by OASIS."

If this is acceptable to OASIS, please can you contact the current owner of oasisopen.org and come back to us when you know whether it is possible to agree terms for OASIS to acquire this domain.

Many thanks.

    Simon

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

"Mary McRae" <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
Sent by: marypmcrae@gmail.com

20/05/2008 14:11
Please respond to
mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org

Simon Nash/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com, ashok.malhotra@oracle.com, booz@us.ibm.com, eduardo.gutentag@oasis-open.org, jmarino@bea.com, martin.chapman@oracle.com, "Mary McRae" <marypmcrae@gmail.com>, mbgl@us.ibm.com, mcombellack@avaya.com, mrowley@bea.com
Subject
Re: Appeal of the OASIS decision on SCA-J package names

Hi Simon,

 Any update on this issue?

Thanks,

Mary