Subject: [Issue 1] Java CAA - Issue 1 Proposal - new version uploaded

Simon,

Thanks for the review.  Comments and responses inline in red

Updates are reflected in this new version of the proposal:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/download.php/33042/sca-javacaa-1.1-spec-cd02-rev3%20Issue1%20rev%206.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-j/download.php/33041/sca-javacaa-1.1-spec-cd02-rev3%20Issue1%20rev%206.doc

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: Simon Nash <oasis@cjnash.com>
To: Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB
Cc: sca-j@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 22/06/2009 22:14
Subject: Re: [sca-j] Groups - Java CAA - Issue 1 Proposal - PDF (sca-javacaa-1.1-spec-cd02-rev3   Issue1 rev 5.pdf) uploaded

Here are my comments on this draft.  Line numbers are from the
PDF version.

 1. Line 1164: The type of the defaultFactoryFinder method should
    be the SPI interface SCAClientFactoryFinder, not the SCA-provided
    reference implementation class SCAClientFactoryFinderImpl.  This
    allows vendors to inject their own implementations of the SPI
    interface into this field.  This change also requires deleting
    line 1160 and updating line 1181.

Agreed.

 2. Lines 1234 - 1236: Replace this paragraph by the following text:
     Provides a means by which a provider of an SCAClientFactory
     implementation can inject a factory finder implementation into
     the abstract SCAClientFactory class - once this is done, future
     invocations of the SCAClientFactory use the injected factory
     finder to locate and return an instance of a subclass of
     SCAClientFactory.
Agreed.

 3. Line 1252: Change "implementation of the SCAClientFactory interface"
    to "implementation of an SCAClientFactory subclass".
Done
 4. Line 1266: Change "SCARuntimeException" to "ServiceRuntimeException".
    This change also needs to be made in a number of other places in
    the SCAClientFactoryFinderImpl code.
Done
 5. The duplication of code between sections 8.8 / 8.9 / 8.10 / 8.11
    and B.1.1 / B.1.2 / B.1.3 / B.1.4 needs to be resolved.  There is
    currently about 95% overlap which is the worst of all possible worlds.

    Having this code duplicated (with minor differences) in different
    parts of the same specification document is redundant and confusing,
    increases the maintenance burden, creates unnecessary opportunities
    for accidental inconsistency, and is not consistent with what we do
    for the other API interfaces, classes and annotations.  It also makes
    it hard to see the information at the start of sections B.1.2, B.1.3
    and B.1.4 about about how vendors should use these APIs and SPIs.

    I think the best approach is to document the normative APIs
    SCAClient, SCAClientFactory and SCAClientFactoryFinder only in
    chapter 8, and the non-normative reference implementation
    SCAClientFactoryFinderImpl only in Appendix B.  This may require
    a forward pointer from chapter 8 to Appendix B.

I take a different view.  I agree with the point about duplication.
However, I liken this to the use of inline pseudo-schemas and Appendixes with full XSDs.
I think this is useful in that the inline schemas are deliberately shortened to allow concentration
on important points in the bulk of the text, while having the full normative contents in the
appendix.  I will try to do the same for the code.

This allows the main text to concentrate on the normative and descriptive aspects while the
appendix contains all the detail but little explanation.

 6. The code in appendix B has the same issues described in comments
    1 and 4 above.
Fixed
 7. Lines 2570: This incorrectly describes the SCAFactoryFinder class
    as a reference implementation.  Replace the first sentence by:
    SCA provides an abstract base class SCAClientFactory.
Fixed
 8. Line 2571: Singular/plural confusion.  Replace the second sentence
    of the paragraph by: Vendors can provide subclasses of this class
    which create objects that implement...."
Fixed
 9. The comment text in lines 2597 - 2601 of Appendix B has the same
    issues described in comment 2 above.
Fixed
10. Section B.1.5 needs to be updated to be consistent with the recent
    changes to SCAClientFactoryFinder.  Specifically, option 3 of the
    second bullet needs to talk about injecting an instance of the
    SCAClientFactoryFinder interface that implements the find() method
    to return a vendor implementation instance of SCAClientFactory.
Done
  Simon

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=33030

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/33030/sca-javacaa-1.1-spec-cd02-rev3%20Issue1%20rev%205.pdf