sdd message

Subject: Re: [sdd] [requirements] use case for 2.1.6.1: sidegrade (side install)

Patton, John H wrote:

>> Customer is running particular customized version of
>> software, including custom data that was created after the
>> initial install, and custom configuration tuned for their
>> environment.  This is running either in a production
>> environment or development environment, with high
>> availability requirements (i.e. can't be taken down except
>> during scheduled maintenance periods).
>

> [John Patton]
> Would this not be met with requirement 2.4?  The user can decide if they
> want to install the new version in a sidegrade fashion by installing it
> as a second instance?

I think you meant requirement 2.4.3 which reads:

"The SDD specification must support the ability for the author to define
parameters to allow multiple instances of the same solution to be deployed to
the same environment(s). The SDD specification must support the ability for
the author to define where only one instance of a solution (a “singleton”) may
be deployed to an environment."

That one, taken with 2.1.4.3 ("SDD specification must support the ability for
the author to define information about and the ability to aggregate a
snapshotted configuration for subsequent installation") and 2.3.5 ("The SDD
specification must support the ability for the author to define the
information to enable a provisioning application or installation program to
ensure that new installations/updates/uninstalls will not impact existing
installed components"), should cover this use case.

-jhf-