sdd message

Subject: RE: [sdd] Groups - Action Item Modified: #0051 2.9.6

I agree that interoperability is very important, but I think it can only be achieved to the degree that we fully specify the contents of the SDD. Perhaps a better example is resource types. I don't think the SDD will define resource types and yet an implementation that cannot support a particular resource type could never successfully install an SDD that used that resource type. If two implementations support the resource types then they should be interoperable. I think we need to either fully specify everything that will be in the SDD or reword this requirement to only cover what is fully specified.

Julia McCarthy
Autonomic Computing Enablement
julia@us.ibm.com
Tie/Line 349/8156
877-261-0391

Inactive hide details for "Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>"Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>

          "Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>

          03/06/2006 09:00 AM

Julia McCarthy/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, Thomas Studwell/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

cc

<sdd@lists.oasis-open.org>

Subject

RE: [sdd] Groups - Action Item Modified: #0051 2.9.6

I agree with Tom’s rewrite, and I think it should be reasonably strong. I think that if we don’t have as an objective reuse of descriptors regardless of the implementation initially targeted, then I’m not sure what value we are bringing with the standard.

Tom’s phrasing doesn’t say that the results of a SDD install will be identical if installed on multiple implementations, only that it is successful. I believe that this gives us the leeway within the SDD to support metadata that can be exploited by implementations and other standards. So in the example of your naming standards – why would support for multiple naming/ versioning standards be any different than supporting platform differences, or supporting multiple application servers?

Regards,
Debra