sdd message

Subject: FW: OASIS SDD Action Item: "2.1.2, 2.1.2.1, 2.1.2.2, 2.1.3.1 - Clarify with Debra."

Including list.

Regards,

Debra

From: Danielson, Debra J
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 10:35 AM
To: 'James Falkner'

Hi James,

See below.

Regards,

Debra

-----Original Message-----
From: James Falkner [mailto:james.falkner@sun.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 3:24 PM
To: Danielson, Debra J

Ok, here's the issue I had last week with these requirements:

2.1.2.1 The SDD specification must support the ability for the author to

define information about viable topologies and define relationships between

nodes in the topology and components targeted to those nodes

2.1.2.1.1 The SDD specification must support the ability for the author to

define prioritization of alternative topologies.

--> I don't understand the need for "alternative topologies".  Wouldn't the

     SDD author specify *the* required topology for the solution?  Perhaps

     within individual elements of *the* required topology, the author can

     provide leeway (for example, one node must be an SQL database, but any

     SQL db from any vendor would do).  Why the need for a complete alternative

     topology?

[djd] because I think that there may be multiple alternatives either to maximize some specific performance or resource metric (high concurrent users, low concurrent users; network constraints), or accommodate the requirements of a specific feature set selection.  So a component may be able to be deployed co-resident with another component, or it may be distributed, or it may be clustered.  As you then move up in the integration food chain by aggregating the component within a larger solution, some of the alternative topologies may be constrained away, but when defining the component, you need to provide the multiple options.

2.1.2.2 The SDD specification must provide an open and flexible definition of

target environments

--> This is very vague.  I was hoping for more detail but not sure where you

     were going with this requirement.

[djd] This was intended to allow for target environments to be more than just operating systems, but to encompass hardware platforms, application servers, and other things that we might not be thinking about today.  So when we talk about deploying into a target environment, we need the criteria that defines the domain of target environments to be extensible (open)  and encompassing (flexible).

2.1.3.1 The SDD specification must not require knowledge of each resource type

by the provisioning application or installation program in order to process

the descriptor.

--> I do not quite get this one.  I originally thought it means "install

     applications should not have to know about all types used in

     SDD in order to parse SDD".  For example, if the SDD refers to a PNG

     image used as an icon, an install program that cannot display PNG

     images can easily skip over the PNG data and still parse the rest of

     the SDD.  But then I read the associated use case (#72):

[djd] yes, so this requirement was the “opaque artifacts” requirement from below.  The platform/resource-neutral isn’t covered in this requirement.  The platform/resource-neutral means that we don’t package SDD as MSI, RPM, etc.  (We may use these things as opaque artifacts, but don’t package that way.)

"Traditionally, product installation means installing software into the

operating system environment. Increasingly today, vendors are creating

products that include other software, such as J2EE applications, and are

recognizing the need to treat other content such as database tables and web

content as a formal part of the product that requires lifecycle management.

Requirement: Pluggable mechanism for specifying target environments and

artifacts to be installed. Opaque artifacts. Descriptor is

platform/resource-neutral. "

     I get the 'opaque artifacts' part but what does it mean for a descriptor

     to be 'platform/resource-neutral' ?

-jhf-