sdd message

Subject: Re: [sdd] r2.9.2

John,
  This does not include the comments I made a few days ago.  I guess you didn't agree?

Regards,
Randy George

Senior Technical Staff Member
Provisioning Architecture
Tivoli Software, IBM Software Group
Austin, TX
(512) 838-0752     T/L 678-0752

"Patton, John H" <John.Patton@ca.com>

03/06/2006 12:03 PM

<sdd@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[sdd] r2.9.2

I was assigned the task to reword r2.9.2 so that it read more like a set of requirements rather than a list of examples.

original:
2.9.2 The SDD specification must facilitate introspection, authoring, and consumption by a variety of potential tools by:
1. employing a design that naturally models the domain of packaging and deployment
2. using data types as strong as possible for each set of data without losing important flexibility
3. providing unique identification of elements where applicable and appropriate
4. eliminating redundant data
5. providing a consistent and minimal set of types via inheritance and type reuse
6. employing technology-appropriate industry standards for data types and formats (e.g. regular expressions, XPATH, etc.)

My suggestion, and I'm not sure if all of this is appropriate for requirements.  I've broken 2.9.2 into sub-requirements:

2.9.2:
The SDD specification must facilitate introspection, authoring, and consumption by a variety of potential tools.

2.9.2.1:
The SDD specification must support employing a design that naturally models the domain of packaging and deployment.
2.9.2.2:
The SDD specification must support using strong data types.
2.9.2.3:
The SDD specification must support unique identification of elements where applicable and appropriate.
2.9.2.4:
The SDD specification must support eliminating redundant data.
2.9.2.5:
The SDD specification must provide a consistent and minimal set of types via inheritance and type reuse.
2.9.2.6:
The SDD specification must support technology-appropriate industry standards for data types and formats.

cheers,

/john patton/

Senior Software Engineer
Office: 630 505-6150