sdd message

Subject: Re: [sdd] [glossary] topology definition

IMO There are three ways to use "topology".  Here are three examples
illustrating how I think we mean to use topology:

----

1. LOGICAL SOLUTION TOPOLOGY

My solution consists of a J2EE web app backed by a database.

2. PHYSICAL SOLUTION TOPOLOGY

I just finished deploying a solution.  Its topology is
J2EE container on host1, hosting a POS [point-of-sale :)]
app, and an RDBMS on host2 containing order information.

3. TARGET ENVIRONMENT TOPOLOGY

My datacenter's topology consists of 5 subnets with
25 hosts on each, each subnet has 5 Dell PCs, 10
HP opterons, and 15 Sun ultra 20's.

----

The difference is that the LOGICAL SOLUTION TOPOLOGY refers
to an un-deployed solution's requirements.  The PHYSICAL
SOLUTION TOPLOGY is the resulting topology of hosts that
were used in deployment of the solution.

In my opinion, #3 above is the traditional definition of the word,
and I do not believe that it makes sense for SDD to use it.  I think
continuing to use the word "topology" will confuse folks familiar with
the traditional meaning, and therefore I think we need to pick a new
word to mean a combination of #1 and #2 (or simply prefix our chosen
word with logical/physical to indicate the type).  Here are some
examples of my thinking:

Target Environment
Target Horizon
Host Set
Target Set
Target Domain

I actually like the last one, but then we end up overloading the
word "domain" (which has meaning in the networking world also, like
topology).

Thoughts?

-jhf-