sdd message

Subject: RE: [sdd] Alternate definition of artifact

It sounds like you two (Debra and James) define payload as the bits in the package that end up copied as the deployed resources. That is what I was calling the package content that is closely similar to the deployed resources. (A copied bit is not the same bit.) Not all deployed resources are copied from bits in the solution package. Some deployed bits are calculated during deployement. Would you consider the inputs to those calculations to be payload?

I believe that the bits that end up copied to the deployed solution are part of the artifact as well as bits that are used to calculate contents or provide other instructions for deploying content. I still don't see the value in distinguishing between bits that are directly copied vs. bits that are used to calculate or provide instructions. Even if there is value in distinguishing (I imagine I'm alone in not seeing the value), I think that both concepts are part of artifact. i.e. What you call payload can be an artifact... or payload plus metadata... or payload alone.

Julia McCarthy
Tivoli Development
Deployment Engine Design
julia@us.ibm.com
349/8156
877-261-0391

Inactive hide details for "Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>"Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>

          "Danielson, Debra J" <Debra.Danielson@ca.com>

          04/20/2006 11:45 AM

"James Falkner" <james.falkner@sun.com>, <sdd@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

RE: [sdd] Alternate definition of artifact

Hi -

I agree with James that the definition of the word artifact does refer
to "product of human conception or agency rather than an inherent
element" and therefore excludes the payload.

So we end up with one term missing, which is the aggregation of the
artifacts and the payload:

What do we call : zero or more files representing everything necessary
to perform a  lifecycle operation on a resource?

Regards,
Debra