sdd message

Subject: OASIS SDD TC Formal requirements

Dear JSDL WG members,
attached you will find a link to a document that has been approved by the OASIS Solution Deployment Descriptor Technical Committee as the formal requirements for the SDD specification. This document is a result of compilation of over 200 use cases brought by TC members including representatives from some GGF workgroups. At the time we evaluated these use cases we were unaware of the potential overlap with JSDL. Our set of use cases are pretty comprehensive but it is possible that we missed use cases that might relate to your use cases. We would appreciate establishing a liaison with your WG to make sure that we address any overlapping needs between our respective charters.

In addition to these requirements, in our recent face to face meeting the SDD TC voted to work with representatives of the JSDL WG to try to converge JSDL's RRL with relevant portions of the SDD. I believe there is significant overlap in this area and it would be beneficial to collaborate on a single set of XML elements to express resource requirements. We would appreciate it if the JSDL WG could nominate a representative who can participate in the SDD TC.

We understand that you are nearing approval of your V1.0 specification and any changes would most likely be reflected in later versions of the JSDL specification but we believe this convergence is important to industry acceptance of both specifications and look forward to working with your representatives on this matter.

Link to SDD Requirements Document: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sdd/document.php?document_id=17882

Thomas Studwell, Chair, OASIS SDD TC

Thomas W. Studwell
Senior Technical Staff Member, Autonomic Computing Architecture
IBM Software Group
B140/Bldg 500
4205 S Miami Blvd, Durham, NC 27703
(919) 254-7574 Fax: (919) 254-7628 Mobile: (919) 619-1038
studwell@us.ibm.com

"There is a word for complaining about a problem without proposing a solution - it's called whining." Ric Telford 2006