sdd message

Subject: Determining uniqueness

Issue #6 - Value of determining unique identification by matching key properties or external inputs

This is referring to uniqueness of the descriptor. There is text in the annotations of the schema that suggests variability in what is used to determine uniqueness. Specifically:
<attribute name="descriptorID" type="base:UUID"
use="optional">
<annotation>
<documentation>
A UUID for the descriptor (i.e. the package
instance). This allows the descriptor to be
identified uniquely for update (e.g. if the
descriptor contains errors).

If there is no descriptor ID, then matching of
descriptors may be based on matching of key identity
properties.
</documentation>

From Debra in her 6/6 email: Item #6 Does anyone have an example of when it would be useful to determine the identity of a descriptor by matching key properties of packageIdentity or external input?

We did discuss this in a meeting. I had come away with the impression that we did not want to make this statement and have already modified the text in the specification so that there is no mention of alternative matching. Here's how the spec reads currently:

Anyone agree with removing alternative matching? Anyone disagree?

Julia McCarthy
Tivoli Development
Deployment Engine Design
julia@us.ibm.com