sdd message

Subject: Re: [sdd] Issue 31

Another approach might even be simpler.   What if we remove the DeploymentDescriptor element from the PackageDescriptor?  We have a defined enum value for a File purpose called "deploymentDescriptor".    Thus, we can state that to be fully compliant with the SDD specification, a PackageDescriptor MUST contain a File with a purpose="deploymentDescriptor".  This element would reference an XML document that is compliant with the deployment descriptor section of this specification.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Randy George

Senior Technical Staff Member
Provisioning Architecture
Tivoli Software, IBM Software Group
Austin, TX
(512) 838-0752     T/L 678-0752

Julia McCarthy/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

07/12/2006 01:46 PM

cc
sdd@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
[sdd] Issue 31

Issue 31: Is the correspondence between deploymentDescriptor and the file element defining the deployment descriptor simply the fact that the pathname matches? This seems odd. It seems more usual for the deploymentDescriptor to reference the file instead. Currently, the answer is yes - the only correspondence is the matching URI and pathname.

In researching this, I've discovered that the situation isn't what I thought. In v1 of the iudd schema files had an ID and were referenced with an IDref. Now, files are referenced (at least in artifact elements) by referring to the same URI used in the file element. That is, the URI used in an artifact is simply a pointer to a file element. If the URI in deployment descriptor is intended to be used the same way - as a pointer, then we just need to document this clearly in the deploymentDescriptor element text.

Here's what the xml would look like for deploymentDescriptor element and the file element for the deployment descriptor.

<deploymentDescriptor>sdd.xml</deploymentDescriptor>

<
file charEncoding="" compression="false" length="0" pathname="sdd.xml" purpose="deploymentdescriptor">

<ds:DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.ibm.com"></ds:DigestMethod>
<
ds:DigestValue>0</ds:DigestValue>
</
file>

Randy or Christine, can you verify that the intent is for the URI used in deploymentDescriptor to be a pointer to a file element?

Julia McCarthy
Tivoli Development
Deployment Engine Design
julia@us.ibm.com