sdd message

Subject: Runtime update

Good afternoon (evening to our friends in Germany),

I wanted to provide you all a quick update on the runtime and tools status.  Things are falling into place for this work to begin in COSMOS by month's end.  There is a COSMOS Summit call tomorrow where I'll be covering the basics of what we intend to do as part of the project.  What I plan to identify as deliverables are as follows ...

SDD Deliverables:

0) Appropriate requirements, use cases, design documents, etc.
1) SDD CL1-based Runtime capable of handling the following operations
        a) configure
        b) install
        c) repair
        d) undo
        e) update
        f) use
        g) uninstall
2) SDD Repository for storing resource information
3) Tools in support of SDD adoption
        a) Build Time Generator (BTG) to automate SDD creation
        b) SDD Validator
        c) SDD Change Analyzer

We have created the following wiki pages where you can find more information on this effort.  http://wiki.eclipse.org/Leveraging_SDD

A kickoff meeting will be scheduled for the week of January 21st.  In the meantime, for those TC companies that wish to participate in this project, I encourage you to familiarize yourselves with the Eclipse development processes if you are not already familiar with them.  Additionally there is paperwork that needs to be filled out, so if you need to consult your legal staff you may want to go ahead and do that now as well.

One thing that I do want to call out, is that each contributor to the project will need to be assigned a mentor.  That mentor then works with each contributor until the contributor achieves committer status in the project.  It will be very helpful in terms of project planning to identify resources that will be participating from each company.  Each of those individuals can then be assigned a mentor.

I will post back with more information as I get it.  If there is anything noteworthy following tomorrow's summit call, I will pass that along as well.

Regards,
-Jason