sdd message

Subject: RE: Eclipse P2 and SDD

Title: Eclipse P2 and SDD

Hi Chris,

There is alignment between SDD and P2 although we haven’t exploited that as of yet as we focus on the core runtime components for CL1 support**.

P2’s IU concept is a much simpler data model than the SDD due in large part because P2 gets to make assumptions about the target hosting environment (Eclipse) for hosting plug-ins.  This affords them the opportunity to skip over the more complex system level checks that we have to do in order to gather information about resources in the hosting environment.  They also do not have the same problems to solve related to topology, aggregation and gathering more sophisticated information from the user in support of the more complex deployment operations to perform, repair and undo for example.

That isn’t a knock on P2.  The P2 architecture is very good and very flexible and the IU interface can be built upon to handle installing various artifact types including artifacts described in SDDs.  Our plans post the 1.1 release of COSMOS are somewhat up in the air depending on community interest, but one area I plan to explore is tighter integration with P2 for the purposes of tackling CL2 functionality and leveraging the P2 framework to do that makes a lot of sense as they have already implemented installing to distributed systems.

You may also recall that in the demo we were using some of the user interface elements from P2.  That wasn’t a perfectly clean implementation so we’ve re-factored that and have a CLI advisor now that sits on top of an iAdvisor interface which can be extended to add back the P2 SWT advisor interface or any  other interface to the runtime such as Swing, Flex, eSWT, etc.

We also have the potential for alignment with the P2 repository concepts which would tie in nicely with creation of a management repository (using a set of SML documents or some other format) that could be used within P2’s administrative interface for creating what they call profiles (profiles of end points … i.e. all Windows XP systems on the network or a sub-net) in order to visualize and manage deployed software assets.  This *could* actually tie back into the Data Collection and Data Visualization projects in COSMOS which would essentially mean that the work for SDD in COSMOS in conjunction with P2 could “complete the loop” for managing software assets.

** Note that we are using the Equinox platform in our implementation as the runtime has been architected as a set of OSGi plug-ins.

I’d be happy to discuss this further with you or the group on an upcoming call.  You’re all also welcome to join the COSMOS architecture call on Tuesday’s at 11AM at any time.  We are currently in our iteration 5 test phase so there isn’t a great deal of technical discussion at this point, but we ramp up for iteration 6 next week and will have more technical discussions and design reviews then.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

-Jason