sdd message

Subject: Deprecation

SDD TC,

I inquired about how to document deprecated properties as a result of our
discussion in today's TC call. The OASIS TC  Administrator's reply was:

Certainly in the new spec you would indicate - maybe
in the introduction, or whatever section the particular property in
question was contained in - that the previous property has been
deprecated and that the new property(ies) should be used in its place
and maybe an example? Not that it's policy, but it seems like a sound
documentation practice ;) As far as noting anything in prior specs,
that's not possible. And your TC home page might be another good place
to make note of it, as well as sdd-dev if there is one.

I think this would make a great topic for a 'best practice' - I can
pass it along to the TAB but if you or other folks on the TC have any
thoughts I'm all ears.

So my suggestion is that we:
Add a section in the introduction that lists deprecated properties;
Note this information on our TC home page (I can do this); and
In the section where the deprecated property exists, I would add a notice
that the property is deprecated in v1.1, and gray out or strike through
the text for that property.

Does that work? Comments?

Brent A. Miller
Senior Technical Staff Member, Master Inventor
Chief Architect, Tivoli Autonomic Computing & Component Technologies
(TACCT)
IBM Corporation
Please Note New Tel.       919-224-1027 (TIE 687)
Email:   bamiller@us.ibm.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
But, in practice, there is."
-- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut