security-services-comment message

Subject: Re: [security-services-comment] comments re sstc-saml-metadata-ui-v1.0-csprd01

On 10/25/11 4:39 PM, "Tom Scavo" <trscavo@gmail.com> wrote:

>Oops, there's one additional comment I forgot to make. I see why
>you've specified the use of a plus sign (+) in multi-word keywords,
>but that may be tricky when using keywords as search terms in a search
>query. Almost all search syntaxes that I've seen use double quotes for
>that purpose.

I don't really believe there's any use case for multi-word keywords, so I
don't believe it should be supported with any complexity imposed on the
consumer. Quoting doesn't give you the semantics you would expect in an
XML list type.

>As a specific example, look at MDX
>(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lajoie-md-query), which uses the
>plus sign (+) to separate search terms. Not sure what to do in the
>situation where a search term is one of your multi-word keywords.
>Maybe that's an MDX problem, not yours, I don't know.

Even if I defined an escape code for allowing '+' characters inside
keywords, MDX would still have to define an escape mechanism itself if it
wanted to allow them inside search terms. If it were to do that, then
whatever it defines should work for this.

-- Scott