Subject: participation in OASIS Security Services TC

We've seen quite a bit of interest in the OASIS Security Services TC. So
far, about 80 eligible people have signed up to become members of the TC.
(We also had several who were interested but were not eligible because of
not being an OASIS member.)

While I've quite pleased and excited by the level of interest in this TC,
I'm also concerned. Those of you who are familiar with the OASIS TC process
know that committees must have quorum at meetings in order to conduct
business. In other words, if less than half of the members of the committee
attend a meeting then that meeting cannot proceed. With 80 people signed up
for membership that means that 40 people must attend each meeting if work is
to proceed.

Because of this I must ask that you only become a member in this TC if you
are committed to active participation in the committee work. If all of you
intend to actively participate we will be able to do great things, but if we
have mostly lurkers then the committee will fail.

If you do not intend to actively participate, i.e. attend all meetings and
contribute to the work being done, PLEASE either 1) tell me now that you are
not interested so I can remove you from the list, or 2) at the first meeting
during roll call inform the chair that you are there as an observer only and
not as a member.

Note that OASIS members do not need to be a member of the TC in order to be
subscribed to the email list; if all you want to do is lurk then you can
stay subscribed, but please do not become a voting member at the first
meeting.

thanks

</karl>
Karl F. Best