Subject: Challenge-Response/OBI & S2ML (Anders Rundgren's suggestion)

Anders,

I have reviewed all of your e-mails expressing concerns
about not including Challenge-Response.

Overall, I agree with Phil's previous response:

> Anders,
>
> We have no plans to permit the S2ML group to expand
> its scope to include authentication. This was taken out
> of scope because it is addressed in XKMS which is in
> the process of being submitted to W3C.
>
> The S2ML/Auth-XML group is not the place to raise
> security issues of that type. It will have enough
> difficulty comming to agreement on the issues that are
> currently in scope without competing with other working
> groups.

S2ML is not about building auth services, it is about
enabling authentication/authorization services to
exchange security information w/other security-enabled internet apps.

However, w.r.t. your previous comments:

> OBI will never take-off using S2ML in the version I
> have read (0.7a).  And OBI is really interesting as it
> is a down-to-earth B2B-solution that gives you
> a peer-to-peer solution ["Napster for B2B":-)].
> Partner client certificates unfortunately
> kills the whole idea.

I think it will be useful to review your discussion about C-R A problem,
particularly your OBI B2B transaction
example. Perhaps if you prepare a write-up we can discuss
it as part of the binding sub-group, Prateek?

Requiring/assuming that there is some pre-established
trust is pretty reasonable, IMO. Trusted networks are
configurable and operationally desirable.

However, I want to know more of what you think are limitations w.r.t.
applying S2ML to OBI transactions.

thanks,
Zahid