Subject: Agenda for Security Services TC 2 March 2001 F2F

I'm in an extreme rush and have been having technical problems, so I can't
FTP this to the actual SSTC site.  (I've copied security-editors in the
hope that Jeff H. or Karri M. will FTP it for me.)  However, the attached
new "meeting page" (whose older version is at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/f2f-2march2001.shtml)
contains the agenda I plan to propose at the beginning of the session.  It
shows the big substantive areas we need to cover.

Bob B.'s proposal for a Robert's-style approach is exactly what I will be
using on Friday.  I hope that people won't be put off by seeing the "bones"
of the approach; it probably won't feel very formal or constrained when
we're in the middle of it.  I won't require people to say things like "I
yield to the distinguished gentleman from Cupertino." :-)  My goals in
using RROR are the same as the goals of the OASIS folks who set up these rules:

- Ensure objectivity *and* the appearance of objectivity
- Keep order in the proceedings (especially since our group is so large)

However, this means that there are some requirements on how we do our
work.  I want to keep the focus on *specific* motions to *take some kind of
action*, rather than have us devolve into general discussion.  This means
that, in general, we will be considering wording changes to proposals,
recommendations, and motions that are on the floor.  Check out
http://www.constitution.org/rror/rror--00.htm for RROR online, which
includes a quick reference to motions and their order of precedence.  (I'm
actually not a huge expert on this stuff!  Bob B. will be my parliamentarian.)

Everyone, please copy or print the strawman document files and other
relevant files from the http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/docs/
area.  I will not have hardcopies of these documents available at the
meeting.  If you think this will be a problem, let me know and I'll try and
have a few copies made.  If you have a laptop with a floppy drive, bring
that, and we'll use it to transfer files you need.  We will also have a
computer projector for showing documents on the big screen.

I'm still looking for a secretary.  Taking minutes is not as bad as it
sounds, and it will keep you awake!  Please consider volunteering for this,
or you may be subjected to "being volunteered" by me at the meeting.  I'm
looking for a morning person and an afternoon person.  I will call the roll
myself.

See you all on Friday!

	Eve
Title: OASIS - Technical Committees - Security Services - F2F #1

F2F #1 of the OASIS Security Services TC

The OASIS Security Services TC (SSTC) will hold its first face-to-face meeting from 9:00am to 5:00pm ET on 2 March 2001 at the Sun Microsystems campus in Burlington, Massachusetts, USA.

Send inquiries to Eve Maler (phone +1 781 442 3190, mobile +1 781 883 5917), SSTC chair and meeting host.

Last revised 27 February 2001.

Attendance and Registration

Voting members, prospective members, and other observers (individual OASIS members and members of OASIS-member organizations) may attend; however, we are trying to keep participation numbers manageable, and do not expect many others besides voting members to attend.

Registration is now closed. If you have questions about registration or attendance, please contact the host.

This is an official meeting of the SSTC; attendance will be noted and will count towards good standing. Non-attending voting members will not be allowed to give their proxy to an attendee.

Venue

The meeting will be held at:

Martha's Vineyard conference room
Sun Microsystems
1 Network Drive (driving directions , MapBlast map)
Burlington, MA 01803 USA

We're such a large group that we will probably overflow Visitor Parking; if this happens, exit Visitor Parking, turn left, and turn left again to park near Building 1, then take the sidewalk up the short hill towards the central lobby.

If you're staying in Cambridge because of the W3C event that week, note that a cab ride to Burlington will cost approximately $50, including tip. You can find public transportation options at the MBTA web site. If you have an evening flight on Friday, plan about an hour for cab rides back to Logan Airport during rush hour (though it may take less time because it's nominally against the flow).

Sun will be providing continental breakfast, lunch, and afternoon coffee. If you have food restrictions: Please note them in the comments section of the Evite invitation or contact the host.

Telephones are available, but Martha's Vineyard does not have network connections or analog lines for computer access. We will have a computer projector at our disposal. If you need photocopies made for the meeting, please make every effort to arrange this with the host beforehand; however, photocopying services will also be available that day.

Hotels

There are three very good hotel choices nearby, all offering Sun corporate rates. Don't be concerned that they are located in three different towns; they're all within a couple of miles of the campus. The Wyndham and Renaissance properties are newer and smaller than the Marriott. They all have pools and workout facilities.

Marriott Burlington
Routes 128 and 3A
Burlington, MA 01803
+1 781 221 6616
Sun rate: $169
Renaissance Bedford
44 Middlesex Turnpike
Bedford, MA 01730
+1 781 275 5500
Sun rate: $147
Wyndham Billerica
270 Concord Road
Billerica, MA 01821
+1 978 670 7500
Sun rate: $142

Meeting Details

Following are details about the purpose and goals of the meeting.

Goals

The tentative goals of the meeting are to:

  • Give everyone a chance to meet each other in person
  • Decide the principles that will guide our choice of requirements
  • Select the requirements our design will address
  • Begin discussing major design issues
  • Determine a schedule for the rest of our work

Preparation

In preparation for the meeting, please study the following documents in the SSTC docs area:

Agenda

Following is the proposed agenda for the meeting:

Time Activity
8:30-9:00 Meet and greet; continental breakfast
9:00 Administrative
  • Call to order
  • Roll call
  • Approve minutes of previous meeting
  • Approve agenda
9:30-10:00 Editor's report (Bob Blakley)
  • Outline for SAML spec
  • Consideration/acceptance of any cross-subgroup sections
10:00-10:30 security-use subgroup report (Darren Platt)
  • Presentation of security-use subgroup recommendations
10:30-10:45 Break
10:45-12:30 security-use, cont'd
  • Consideration/acceptance of recommendations
12:30-1:15 Lunch
1:15-2:45 security-use, cont'd
  • Conclude consideration/acceptance of recommendations
2:45-3:00 Break
3:00-3:30 Administrative, part 2:
  • F2F schedule
3:30-5:00 Other subgroup reports
  • security-core (Phil Hallam-Baker)
  • security-protocol (Tim Moses)
  • security-bindings (Prateek Mishra)
  • security-consider (Jeremy Epstein)
  • security-conform (Krishna Sankar substitute)
5:00 Adjourn

Minutes

When the meeting minutes are available, they will be linked to from here.

--
Eve Maler                                          +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    eve.maler @ east.sun.com