Subject: RE: XACML scope w.r.t. SAML

All,

I think there need be no overlap whatsoever.

Normal authorization architectures look like this:

There is a Policy Enforcement Point (PEP) and a Policy Decision Point
(PDP).

The PEP collects information about subjects, information about requests,
and information about targets (also called objects),
and passes this information to the PDP.

The PDP collects information about the policy relevant to this decision,
makes the decision, and returns it to the PEP.

The PEP enforces the decision.

SAML defines assertions about names and attributes.  It may also define
assertions about authentication and authorization
decisions.

XACML could define either or both of the following (which SAML does NOT
define):

     target control information (e.g. ACLs etc...)
     access control policy information maintained by the PDP (e.g. the
rules for combining ACL entries etc....)

The workflow would then be:

     PEP uses authentication system to authenticate subject.  This results
in a SAML name assertion, and
          also perhaps a SAML authentication method and result assertion.
     PEP collects subject control attributes (e.g. group memberships,
roles, etc...).  This results in a SAML
          property assertion
     PEP collects information about the request (and perhaps also context
information)
     PEP collects information about the target (this could just be the name
or reference to the target, or it
          could include the control attributes.  If it includes the control
attributes, they are expressed as
          XACML documents)
     PEP asks PDP for a decision
     PDP collects target control attributes (if not provided by the PEP).
This is expressed as a XACML
          document
     PDP collects policy rules (expressed as XACML documents)
     PDP makes a decision
     PDP returns decision to PEP (this could be expressed as a SAML
decision assertion)
     PEP enforces the decision.

--bob

Bob Blakley
Chief Scientist
Enterprise Solutions Unit
Tivoli Systems, Inc. (an IBM Company)

Hal Lockhart <hal.lockhart@entegrity.com> on 03/01/2001 04:14:11 PM

To:   "'Simon Y. Blackwell'" <sblackwell@psoom.com>, "'ernesto damiani'"
      <edamiani@crema.unimi.it>, "'Xacml-Discuss (E-mail)"
      <xacml-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Security-Services (E-mail)"
      <security-services@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc:

It is  important to understand that at the moment, the scope of SAML has
not been  agreed upon. Even the strawman usecase and requirements are at
the moment the  work of a subset of the TC. After our face to face meeting
tomorrow, this  may get clearer.

Hal