Subject: Re: XACML Proposal

Simon,

What is the expected timing and how does that relate to the on-going
SAML work? As usual, I don't care too much about the organisational
issues, but do not want to see SAML held-up or side-tracked at any
point because of SAML/XACML incompatibility or dependencies.

Can you clarify the intended timing?

Stephen.

> "Simon Y. Blackwell" wrote:
>
> After some preliminary discussion with Eve L. Maler I am posting this ballot to the Security
> Services list. Members of the XACML discussion list need not respond since they have already
> responded to an internal ballot. The results of the internal ballot so far are 10 in favor of the
> submission as written, 1 with an inconsequential change that is reflected below. 8 people favor a
> separate TC, 2 prefer a subcommittee, and 1 has no preference.
>
> The XACML discussion list is about to propose formation of a TC to OASIS. Per previous agreement
> by the XACML list organizers with the members of Security Services TC the Security Services list
> is being informed beforehand in order to help determine if the proposed activity should properly
> be a sub-group within Security Services. Please reply to the poster of this e-mail with you
> comments by April 1st so that it can be discussed on the April 3rd teleconference.
>
> [ ] Agree with the proposal as written for submission to OASIS for TC formation
>
> [ ] Agree with the proposal with minor or inconsequential changes as noted prior to submission to
> OASIS for TC formation
>
> [ ] Agree with the proposal as written for creation of a subcommittee within Security Services
>
> [ ] Agree with the proposal with minor or inconsequential changes for creation of a subcommittee
> within Security Services
>
> [ ] Proposal should not be submitted and work should be suspended
>
> [ ] More extensive discussion is required prior to a decision
>
> [ ] Please make me a member of the TC or subcommittee mailing list if one is formed.
>
> Name of TC: XACML
>
> Statement of purpose: The purpose of the XACML TC is to define a core schema and corresponding
> namespace for the expression of authorization policies in XML against objects that themselves are
> identified in XML. The schema will be capable of representing the functionality of most policy
> representation mechanisms available at the time of adoption. It is also intended that the schema
> be extensible in order to address that functionality not included, custom application
> requirements, or features not yet envisioned. Issues to be addressed include, but are not limited
> to: fine grained control, the nature of the requestor, the protocol over which the request is
> made, content introspection, the types of activities authorized. The group intends to work closely
> with security services (SAML) to ensure work is not duplicated and adoption is as simple as
> possible.
>
> List of deliverables: statement of scope (what's in and what's out), glossary, bibliography
> (including references to other XML initiatives, e.g. SAML), joint statement with SAML about the
> intersections of work, use cases, detailed requirements, proposed standard, model examples for
> "native" and non-native XML targets of control, reference implementation executables.

> [...]

Stephen Farrell
Baltimore Technologies,   tel: (direct line) +353 1 881 6716
39 Parkgate Street,                     fax: +353 1 881 7000
Dublin 8.                mailto:stephen.farrell@baltimore.ie
Ireland                             http://www.baltimore.com