Subject: RE: Minutes of 3 April 2001 Security Services TC telecon

Note, these are my personal opinions and have not yet be vetted by the XACML
group.

In reference to the embedded comment below "Darren, Irving support Eve:
XACML is perhaps doing this stuff" and the question in
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200103/msg00101.htmlQ
uestion "4: What is an Authorization Decision?" XACML is concerned with the
representation of policy as per the response to "Question 8: Should SAML
define a format for policy?" Which was the consensus is format is the job of
XACML.

Most definitely, the general format of the exchange should be XML "W3C has
adopted an architectural principle that XML should be used for the syntax of
Web formats unless there is a truly compelling reason not to (refer to
"Assumed Syntax", by TBL). This principle allows broad applicability of
generic XML tools and is more likely to lead to general protocol elements
that are useful for multiple purposes." per
http://www.w3.org/2001/04/13-tag.

It would certainly be useful, but not required, that the detailed grammar of
AuthZ assertions be similar or identical to some subset of XACML. It seems
to be required that AuthZ assertions be minimally as expressive as XACML
policy rule conclusions OR that input to the PDP be sufficiently complete
that a yes/no answer is sufficient OR that the PEP and PDP can have a
dialogue that allows the PDP to get more attribute assertions from the PEP.
This however just changes the nexus of expressiveness to attribute
assertions, e.g.

Assume the PEP says to the PDP "Here's John with employee id 6934 and group
human resource, he wants employee record 2001".

Assume the PDP has a policy that says "Grant read to all members of human
resources for all employee records so long as the requesting machine is
within the human resource intranet."

Assuming the PDP understands how to translate "intranet" it could say to a
PEP "you can allow READ so long as the user has this IP MASK <some mask>".
Note, the PDP has stripped out all policy except that necessary to make a
final decision. In this case the PEP is also a PDP, but with no central
policy store. (BTW, it is my opinion that there are at least two entities in
a primary PDP, a policy store and a policy interpretation engine. If others
agree, then we need to decide who should look at this issue the SAML group
or the XACML group and should the distinction be made clear in SAML scope
diagram).

Alternatively, the PEP could have said "Here's John with employee id 6934,
IP 63.56.25.25 and group human resource, he wants to READ employee record
2001."

The PDP could then respond, "give him access".

Another alternative would be for the PEP and PDP to engage in a dialogue so
that the PDP can get all necessary attribute assertions prior to making a
decision and then simply say "give him access".

I think the mechanics of this are squarely within SAML (have fun with this
one folks!;-). My opinion is you should support all three alternatives. And,
we will definitely have to co-ordinate on the form of some assertions, be
they attribute or AuthZ.

Simon Y. Blackwell
CTO
Psoom, Inc.