Subject: Security minutes of W3C web services workshop

Hi all,

I thought I'd provide a small update on some of the SAML related discussions
at the W3C Web Services Workshop.  More information on the workshop
including presentations
is at http://www.w3.org/2001/03/wsws-program

Phillip Hallam-Baker presented XKMS and talked somewhat about the difference
between XKMS and SAML.  He also described that as of Tuesday morning when he
was writing the specification, SAML is based upon X-TASS.

Microsoft did mention security as some information that would exist on the
wire.  Their term was SOAP bubbles, which I got a kick out of.

I presented some recommendations about the real-world issues in integrating
web services, and I mentioned we were involved in SAML.  I brought up the
issue but do not opine whether the W3C should create a security related WG.
As one of the original 3 founders of SAML at oasis, I did bring up the issue
that the market has a perception that OASIS is a "faster" process than W3C.

There was quite a bit of discussion about which WGs should or should not be
chartered for web services.  It was not conclusive on whether the W3C will
charter anything that competes with or uses SAML.

Dave Orchard
XML Architect
Jamcracker Inc.,    19000 Homestead Dr., Cupertino, CA 95014
p: 408.864.5118     m: 604.908.8425    f: 408.725.4310

www.jamcracker.com - Sounds like a job for Jamcracker.