Subject: RE: Proposed glossary definition of 'Assertion'

I like the idea of two defintions. informal/technical, layman/wonk come to
mind as expressing the dicotomy.

Should one of the definitions include the idea that the Authority is
considered and authoritative source of this information by some set of
relying parties? It seems a little feeble to just say "declaration" or
"claim being asserted". Perhaps this notion should go in the Authority
definition?

I do not understand the intent of the parenthetical part of "they may be
signed by some authority (not necessarily the Asserting Party)." What case
do you have in mind? If the Authority in question is implmented as several
distinct components or even if the digital signature function is outsourced
to a different organization, *which has no other role in SAML*, then I would
consider the aggregate of these components to constitute the Authority from
a SAML architecture or definitional perspective.

Another way of saying the same thing is that we have a limited number of
active entities defined in SAML and everything else is outside of SAML. Each
entity is considered a black box. In my mind the entity that signs the
assertion is the authority. Surely you don't envision a PEP signing an AuthN
Assertion or an AuthN Authority signing a AuthZ Decision Assertion?

Hal