Subject: Re: New Issues, Authorities and Domains

    >> What I meant was Security Domain. This might be expressed as a
    >> DNS domain or in some other way.

    PD> I agree that we can't limit our definition of domain to a DNS
    PD> domain.  I think of it more as a logical collection of users
    PD> and resources.

Nobody ever liked this, but we differentiated in AuthXML between a
Domain = collection of principals and a Realm = collection of
resources.

Although it seems crystal-clear to me, this was probably one of the
biggest complaints about AuthXML. Go figure. B-)

    >> Can one Authority make assertions about multiple domains?
    PD> Yes.

This would suggest that we need a way to namespace principals and
resources by domain. (Yes, I did just use "namespace" as a verb.)

    >> If I trust an Authority, does that mean I trust their
    >> assertions on any domain?

    PD> Yes, if you want.

"If you want" being the operational phrase.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@outlook.net>
Applications Lead