Subject: RE: New Issues, Authorities and Domains

Adding on to my earlier post,

The big problem with PKIX and X.509 is that there is no unified X.500
directory namespace[*] and hence names are inherently subjective and can
only be considered if they are qualified by the issuer's ID which is itself
subjective and so on.

With DNS we have the significant advantage of an existing, widely used and
stable namespace that provides for uniqueness - given good faith. I consider
the PKIX attribute certificate spec to be an example of the horrors we do
not have face. It is an attempt to make a broken namespace model work, it is
not a design to copy if you have a viable namespace.

		Phill

[*] Yes I know there are people who claim to have one. Just as there are
people who still believe that the Internet will migrate to the rest of the
OSI stack and a small number of my countrymen who will vote for a party
whose sole manifesto aim is to re-instate the British empire, starting with
the invasion and conquest of France.

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.