Subject: Fwd: Re: Co-chairs and vice-chairs

Following is the response from the OASIS group that owns the TC
process.  Here is what I suggest:  Adopt a standing rule that the chair can
appoint (or, alternatively, that the TC can elect) a vice-chair who is
empowered to help with chairing duties at the chair's direction.  The
vice-chair would stand ready to serve as chair pro tem but would, as a
formality, need to be voted in each time.  The "real" chair would bear
ultimate responsibility for the TC, but could share the load as they and
the vice-chair see fit.

Appointing a vice-chair is not *too* different from what I've already done
in appointing other positions, such as secretary and subgroup leader;
however, the difference is that the OASIS rules and RROR do give chairs
additional explicit powers, and the committee is supposed to elect its own
leader.  So the group might prefer to elect a vice-chair rather than have
them be appointed.

Thoughts?

         Eve

--
Eve Maler                                             +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Development  eve.maler @ east.sun.com